Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > DBB Distributed Computing > Is anyone still folding? Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pun
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:56 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Or is this forum just a wart on the ass of the dbb?

Kill it or keep it?
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:48 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_list.php?s=&t=39070
willkill
Ace

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:35 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

woah...I'm afraid to ask Very Happy

If you're gonna bluff, be prepared to strike..fast, hard and often..leaving nothing undone.

RIP Dad Ben Thompson Jan.6,1941-May5,2009
MD-2389
Insane!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:48 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I still have both my machines folding. My server box folds 24/7 while my main rig (MD-2389_64) folds overnight and into the afternoon. Shows you how fast an Athlon 64 is compared to an Athlon XP 2800+ when the former has been folding for roughly a quarter of the time.
JBOMB
DBB Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:34 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

super necro ++

even if people are folding they sure arent talking about it...i say we cut the fat....hone the board...this area = history Smile
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:32 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I disagree. It's still some sort of promoting it. More people should do it !

DBB Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:10 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Then lets at least change the forum name to "wart on the ass of the dbb"
Rook
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:09 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Make it a sub-channel in the Tech forum??
Rook
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:04 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

While we are at it I would move the Gallery into "Descent Community" and 6dof into "Descent Gaming". But I'm a little sleep deprived right now.
Foil
2*pi*r

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:18 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I'm a math-geek, so the free cycles on my machines are busy running GIMPS - the "Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search".

... but a forum for that would only be another "azz-wart"... Razz

DBB PostBot

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:59 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Foil wrote:
I'm a math-geek, so the free cycles on my machines are busy running GIMPS - the "Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search".

... but a forum for that would only be another "azz-wart"... Razz

I checked out that page... what's the point? I mean, will finding these primes cure cancer?

(19:45:53) JBOMBnsht : go brokebackmountain on that ass and fuck a dude...change it up..ya never know
Foil
2*pi*r

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:06 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Well, for one it's $100K to the first person who finds a 10-million-digit Mersenne prime... (the biggest one found so far is just over 9.8-million digits).

I suppose the results can be used in cryptography and may have benefits for physics, but besides that, it's just interesting for a math-geek like me.

... Of course, if the folding is a potential cancer-cure, I'm now ethically on the wrong side... Crying or Very sad

Insane!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:49 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Folding BSOD'd three of my machines, I barely computed one unit, haven't touched it since.

Does folding need a special port open on the firewall? I could load it at work...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:24 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

WTF is this whole thing about? Folding? like paper airplanes?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:42 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

lol, oh wait are you serious? http://folding.stanford.edu/
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:20 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Testiculese wrote:
Folding BSOD'd three of my machines, I barely computed one unit, haven't touched it since.

Does folding need a special port open on the firewall? I could load it at work...

No, it doesn't need any ports to be open Smile You may want to try it again at home, the calculation cores are updated once in a while, most likely it'll work (unless you OC your machines -- in that case the OC is too high).

SpongeBob

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:48 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

i was just browsing, and notice that testi said FAH keeps BSOD'ing his machines, it seems to be doing the same thing to my FTP Server......

its a dual P-III with a gig of PC100 RAM, if folding is running, it will run for a couple days and then BSOD, but if it is not running my server will run for weeks without any problems.

is there a known issue with FAH 5.03 and XP SP2?

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:13 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Nope. People do use folding as a PC stress test for a reason tho.. I'd guess that something in your machine is close to the end of its life (CPU, memory, chipset) or there is a thermal problem.

DBB Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:55 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

shit can this area!
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:18 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Hell no ! I'm getting older -- I may need that treatment for alzheimers or parkinsons some day ! Razz

Insane!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:28 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

DAMN! I just checked my stats on there not too long ago and even though my gaming rig folds maybe a quarter of the time (just overnight while I'm sleeping), it has produced units SEVERAL times faster...and its been folding atleast a year and a half shorter than my "server". Just goes to show you how much faster an A64 3500+ (and as of the first week of March, an Opteron 165 dual core) is than an old Athlon XP 2800+. Very Happy
Rook
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:35 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

The folding team info can be an announcement in the tech forum. No one posts here and as such this is a COMPLETE waste of space.
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:55 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

You are kidding, right ? What "space" are you talking about ?

DBB Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:42 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

did you see one of these Razz in my post?
AceCombat
SpongeBob

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:20 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

hey gren, all the BSOD's i get are memory related, but i just tested my memory with memtest for the full 32 cycles and it came back no errors

DBB PostBot

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:30 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Hey... stfu in here. I'm trying to ignore this waste of space.

(19:45:53) JBOMBnsht : go brokebackmountain on that ass and fuck a dude...change it up..ya never know
Rook
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:09 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

My point is that the 2 posts in here per year should be handled in the tech section. This section should be removed to reduce clutter on the home page.
++fyrephlie++
DBB PostBot

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:40 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Rook wrote:
My point is that the 2 posts in here per year should be handled in the tech section. This section should be removed to reduce clutter on the home page.

x2 nsht.

Pun
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:04 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Do it, Andy.
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:32 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

AceCombat wrote:
hey gren, all the BSOD's i get are memory related, but i just tested my memory with memtest for the full 32 cycles and it came back no errors

Are you running the graphical client ? If so, try the console client. Did you lof the CPU temps by chance ? CPU may be overheating.

SpongeBob

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:10 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

no, i checked the temps through 3 different apps.

they are all within normal ranges for SECC P-III CPU's.

ill try the console version when i get back from N.O. and Arizona