Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Hobby Lobby > Ammo talk Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:35 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

W/ the current ammo prices and availability I started hand loading the stuff I plink around w/ (9mm Luger, 10mm Auto, and .45 Auto.)

Wondering if any of you guys are doing the same thing ?

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:10 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

First:
http://gun-deals.com/ammo
I shouldn't have to teach you to use that but sort by last column so you get the price per round shipped.

I'm pretty good on ammo now. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 14k rounds Smile

I have been looking at reloading though. I have done it before back in high school so I get it. But I just don't have the time to get other projects done let alone reloading.

I was looking at the Dillon XL650 with brass hopper and bullet feeder. Pretty much sit there and bang out rounds while watching TV. Something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsroWATZWQc

JBOMB - "kinda...cause after you smoke enough bowls you end up realizing you are both 2 idiots jumping around in front of a tv.."
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:22 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

STRESSTEST wrote:
First:
http://gun-deals.com/ammo
I shouldn't have to teach you to use that but sort by last column so you get the price per round shipped.

I'm pretty good on ammo now. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 14k rounds Smile

Hehe, I got about 500 factory rounds per caliber, mainly to break in guns and for brass. I am stocking up on primers and powder however Smile

Did a quick check on 10mm and .45, I can still beat those prices by at least 25% (even using FMJ/JHP bullets. Using cast bullets would shave another 30% or so.) 9mm is cheap enough here (~$12/50), got the die set JIC the stuff becomes hard to get again (Lee 4 die set + turret is < $50.)

STRESSTEST wrote:
I have been looking at reloading though. I have done it before back in high school so I get it. But I just don't have the time to get other projects done let alone reloading.

I was looking at the Dillon XL650 with brass hopper and bullet feeder. Pretty much sit there and bang out rounds while watching TV. Something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsroWATZWQc

I don't shoot enough for that Smile Plus, it's getting pretty expensive if you load multiple calibers. I did look at progressive presses when I was starting up this pastime but got strongly advised against getting one as a beginner. Ended up w/ a Lee Classic, happy w/ it so far. Still using it basically as a single stage press since I'm mostly experimenting w/ loads -- ~ 50 rounds/hr. Reinstalling the auto index feature would get that up to ~ 150+ rounds/hr.

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 1:55 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

JIC someone is in the area (Albany, OR) during the weekend (May 16/17) -- check out the Saddle Butte Machine Gun Shoot. Should be entertaining, esp. on Sun Smile

On another note -- I think I found the press I want, a Forster Co-Ax Cool

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:53 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

My latest endeavor, .45-70:

From left to right: 9mm, 5.56 NATO, 308 Win, .45-70 -- a man's caliber ! Mr. Green 405 grain bullet, almost 1oz (436gr), ambling down range at 1300ft/s. Very entertaining Cool My first loads were around 1500ft/s, that's about max for this alloy -- I didn't do the recoil math before shooting them, still sporting a bruise... (30flb recoil !)