Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > PTMC Saloon > The Official DXX-Rebirth Installer Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A Future Pilot
Trainee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:51 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Hello everyone!

I've made an installer for DXX-Rebirth that will make it much easier to install. No more copying game files and such, just download, run, and go! Smile

You can download it for the latest release here: DXX-Rebirth Installer

You can check out the source here: Github Source

Here's a bit of info on the addons available from within the installer:

1. Vertigo for D2 (This was an official expansion created by Interplay. You need the original Vertigo files to install it)

2. Retro Mod (This is a modification of Rebirth for the competitive community. Several changes have been made to certain elements [particularly multiplayer elements] to make it even more like the original. Most of these changes should be merged into the official Rebirth code in the next release, so Retro may or may not be needed then. As it stands now though, most competitive play is done with the Retro Mod)

3. Descent Maximum (This is a total conversion of D2 to the PS1 version. To uninstall it delete, or change the extension of D2XR-MAXIMUM.DXA in the main D2X-Rebirth folder)

4. Mission Packs (These are collections of missions. The Rangers are the main multiplayer community currently and they have created both anarchy and co-op mission packs for people to use. The Descent Championship Ladder [DCL] is a group of highly competitive players who challenge each other to 1v1 matches. They have their own missions pack available as well)

5. Soundtracks (These are high-quality recordings of the original MIDI soundtracks in lossless format. If the MIDI music you hear isn't what you remember, one of these packs may be more similar to the soundboard you had back in the day, and therefore will sound like the way you remember it. There are also Redbook audio tracks available as well. After downloading the soundtracks you will have to manually move one of them into the main Rebirth folders from the "Soundtracks" folder to enable it.)

6. German Briefing (This is an addon that converts the text of the briefings into German)

The installer will automatically install an addon that fixes the sound from D1 assets (robots and doors and such) in D2. If you like hearing those sounds all sped up and such, just delete or rename the extension of UUD2SP.DXA in the main D2X-Rebirth folder.

I would recommend getting the Retro Mod (because many in the multiplayer community use it), all the mission packs (although if bandwidth is an issue, don't worry about the co-op ones), and whichever soundtracks you prefer.

Notes:

1. When you uninstall, you are given the option of removing the installation folders or not. If you select yes it will remove the D*X-Rebirth folders and everything in them (including any missions or anything you may have installed).

2. This is now considered official, however I'm still the maintainer, so if you have any issues contact me, not zico.

3. Thanks to zico for hosting my installer on dxx-rebirth.com! Smile

4. If you previously had Rebirth installed in a folder (i.e. C:\Games\D*X-Rebirth) the installer will move your old installation into a DXX-Rebirth subdirectory (i.e. C:\Games\DXX-Rebirth\D*X-Rebirth). It will also remove the uninstall files that were originally left in the install folder (i.e. C:\Games).

5. There was a bug in an older version of the installer that would place the demo data into the main installation folder whether or not you wanted it installed. This bug has been fixed, however there was no way to reliably fix this problem with existing installations. You will have to delete the demo files manually. For D1 the files are descent.hog and descent.pig in the main folder (your actual data files should be in the /Data directory). For D2 the files are d2demo.ham, d2demo.hog, and d2demo.pig. You may also want to delete the d*x-rebirth-retro.ico file if you don't have the Retro mod installed (this is just the icon file and won't do any harm by being there, but just for completeness sake I decided to mention it). As I said, this bug has been fixed, so if you use the current version of the installer it will only install the shareware files if you select them in the components dialog (and only install the retro icon if you install the mod).

6. If, when you update your installer it says the new revision is 999 it means you are updating from a pre-download-overhaul installer to a post-download-overhaul one. Just so you know.
Woodchip
Ace

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:55 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Dare we click the link ?
Avder
Hotshot

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:55 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I wouldnt.
TigerRaptorFX
Ace

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:12 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Test it out for yourself.

http://www.virustotal.com
A Future Pilot
Trainee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:51 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Lol! I know my word probably doesn't mean much...but yes it is safe. It's built with INNO Setup. I can post the code here if you don't believe me Wink

The only reason it's "Unofficial" is cause I don't want zico having to worry about it...he's got a lot going on right now. If you go over to the Rebirth forum you can see the thread here: http://www.dxx-rebirth.com/frm/index.php/topic,1034.0.html there are several people who have used it and found it quite useful! Smile

Sorry didn't mean to scare anybody! Y'all don't really know me around here...I'm really active on the Rebirth forum, just not so much here. Smile
A Future Pilot
Trainee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:18 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

*Updated. Fixed a bug with the components selection, it should now copy files from anywhere that you specify. Smile Thanks go to MathewG (from the GOG forum) for finding this bug!
A Future Pilot
Trainee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:31 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

*Updated. Just added some behind-the-scenes stuff (I went through and documented all the code and such, as well as added my own little in-house revision system, to make sure I always am working on the latest version. I also re-compiled and uploaded the installer...there shouldn't be any change, but in case I somehow managed to add a bug, this'll show it Wink )

Also I added a link to the source file in the original post, mainly because I believe in open source lol! Smile
A Future Pilot
Trainee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:47 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

*Updated to 0.57.2
A Future Pilot
Trainee

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 5:10 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Updated to 0.57.3
A Future Pilot
Trainee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:05 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Updated: Added the ability to download AddOn packs during installation. Also enabled the option to remove everything when uninstalling.
Neo
[deleted]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:52 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Don't be ridiculous. I seriously doubt anyone would come to a forum for a game that NOBODY PLAYS ANYMORE just to talk about its specifics that ONLY WE WOULD KNOW and advertise an installer that's really a trojan horse.

You people are always like "OMG SPAMMER!!!" to all the new people who register; you even did that with Bettina, and she's one of the better additions to the Descent 3 community. Not everybody's out to hijack your five-thousand-dollar computer.
A Future Pilot
Trainee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:00 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

*Updated. Now can extract the .sow file from the original Descent 2 CD. Also, some bug fixes.

EDIT: MAJOR update!! I've added all kinds of fun things, such as:

Improved install from CD (it now makes sure you have time to switch CD's if installing from multiple using one drive)
.hog file size checks (it will now warn you if you're installing with a .hog filesize that Rebirth doesn't recognize)
Vertigo expansion is now an option checked at the beginning of the install
File exist checks (it will now make sure it can find the data files in the directory specified)
Improved version scheme (differentiate between installer revision and Rebirth version)
Copy Demos (the install everything option now installs demos as well)
Lots of little bugfixes
Probably a few more things I forgot lol

Anyway, try it out, and let me know what you think!
A Future Pilot
Trainee

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:27 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Fixed a bug with the shareware data files as well as a few other minor things. (Also read the notes in the first post, as they've changed).
Hunter
Hotshot

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:55 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Neo wrote:

You people are always like "OMG SPAMMER!!!" to all the new people who register; you even did that with Bettina, and she's one of the better additions to the Descent 3 community. Not everybody's out to hijack your five-thousand-dollar computer.

20 years Samus and you're just figuring out now that gaming communities are xenophobic? Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:04 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

There have been lots of fixes and additions since I last updated this thread.

The biggest thing to most people will be the inclusion of a bunch of new soundtracks as well as the Redbook audio.
View previous topic :: View next topic