Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Hobby Lobby > Nerdy Pen Talk (split from "Shopping Tale") Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:47 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Finally found some time to look into that matter:

I can get you a 1950 Parker 51 Special in Teal Blue Smile Barrel is in good shape but is engraved w/ "ETHEL ARTER":

In the long run I would replace the hood, it does have marks from the cap and dings. Purely cosmetic tho:

The filler and the connector are the original parts, interestingly the latter is machined, not injection molded (that's a good thing Wink). I had to replace the (broken) collector with a late Argentina made one tho:

I also replaced the nib w/ a new F (leaning to XF) octanium nib. The cap is the correct cap for a Special, polished steel with a black jewel, and in good shape:

I just put it together, should be ready for a test run w/ Sky High tomorrow. Let me know if you are interested. As an alternative I probably could come up w/ a black P51, a black P51 Demi, or a grey P51 Demi.

Edit: Oh, forgot to mention that I also hacked the breather tube -- I installed a true aerometric metal tube. Smile

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:42 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I'm interested. What's the difference between the 51, 51 Special, and 51 Demi?

EDIT: Nevermind!

Grendel wrote:
Will keep my eyes peeled. Some pointers if you are looking yourself:

- the "Demi"s are about the size of the 21, they were marketed to women. Personally I prefer the larger regular 51s, more comfy to use.
- I would recommend the Aerometric versions -- easier to maintain, won't "burp". If you go with a Vacumatic make sure it was serviced by someone trustworthy not too long ago.
- There are 51 Supers, they come w/ an octanium (Rolling Eyes) nib and the filler is the same open design as in the 21 Super. They are also made of the same plastic. Non-Super 51s are made from PMMA ("Lucite"). Feels nicer and is less prone to break/crack.
- I did not see any quality differences in P51s made in the UK vs. US made pens (nib is always made in the US.)

If you pick one up at a garage sale or thrift store, let me know -- I can walk you through the maintenance process.
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:59 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Hehe -- just after I took more pictures Razz Info isn't 100% accurate, the Specials are made of Lucite just as the regular ones. The differences are (Special then regular):

- Cap: polished vs. frosted (both steel), black jewel vs. "pearl" jewel (it's plastic).
- Nib: octanium vs. 14K, tipping is the same.
- Filler shroud: hoop (w/ "Special" engraved) vs. closed.
- Breather tube: short plastic vs. long metal with "Aerometric" hole (this Special has the "real deal" !)

Everything else is exactly the same. All parts are interchangeable.

The Aerometric Demi's are smaller (shorter and slimmer), only the nibs are the same.

Pics:

I filled the pen up and played a bit w/ it, so far it's very nice. It does have a bit of a sweet spot but it's still forgiving enough IMO. Flow is squat in the middle, makes for a great everyday pen.

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:43 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Fabulous. How much you want for it?
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:56 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Don't worry about it, just promise to send it back if you don't like it or it develops a problem Smile I'll keep it inked over the weekend to make sure everything is fine. Is the address I sent the samples to still good ?

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:15 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Wow! Super generous of you, my friend. Rest assured that it'll be well kept in my possession. I love my super 21, but I'm afraid to use it too much because of the supposed fragility of the plastic.

Yeah, Golfview address is still good.
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:27 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Hm, Sky High kept clogging the nib after not using it for a few hours. Tweaked a nib a bit, loaded Pilot blue-black (property wise it should be pretty close to the Iroshizuku inks), and grabbed a different cap. No problems so far; If everything holds up it should go out the door by Mon or Tue.

From what I've read I don't think the Super 21 plastic is that fragile, its predecessor the regular 21 seems to be the one w/ that problem.

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:21 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I plan to run Lamy turquoise in it. You think it'll be okay with that one?

BTW, this Goulet F nib has turned my Ahab into a very useable daily writer. The thing is rock solid for several weeks now. (inked with Lamy Turquoise)
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:54 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

It should be fine, just give it a whirl and let me know if it works out (I do have wider nibs if you think the XF is too fine.)

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:44 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

UPS sucks. "Late Train", my ass.

I did install the Goulet 1.1mm, took me three tries to find an Ahab that would work w/o heat setting the feed :/ It does work nicely, just not as an everyday pen -- the nib is too wide ( < 0.8mm wide stubs are best for carry pens.) I'm not impressed w/ the nib itself, it's not a stub (or italic), it's what nowadays is sold as "calligraphy nib". These nibs don't have tipping, you write w/ steel -- that makes them all overpriced. The Knox/Nemosine nibs are the same (I bet they are made by JoWo too), even tho some are advertised as "iridium point" Sad (The regular Knox/Nemo nibs are great tho, cheaper than the Goulet nibs too Wink)

Oh well, the Parker Sonnet w/ a medium factory stub it is for the time being.

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:17 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Grendel wrote:
UPS sucks. "Late Train", my ass.

Hah, yeah. I saw that yesterday and was like, WTF.

Grendel wrote:
I did install the Goulet 1.1mm, took me three tries to find an Ahab that would work w/o heat setting the feed :/ It does work nicely, just not as an everyday pen -- the nib is too wide ( < 0.8mm wide stubs are best for carry pens.) I'm not impressed w/ the nib itself, it's not a stub (or italic), it's what nowadays is sold as "calligraphy nib". These nibs don't have tipping, you write w/ steel -- that makes them all overpriced. The Knox/Nemosine nibs are the same (I bet they are made by JoWo too), even tho some are advertised as "iridium point" Sad (The regular Knox/Nemo nibs are great tho, cheaper than the Goulet nibs too Wink)

Oh well, the Parker Sonnet w/ a medium factory stub it is for the time being.

Shame about that nib. If you notice in my pic, the EF writes about F, almost M. I didn't have to do any heat setting and the thing has flowed perfectly and is a fairly smooth writer. I'm still using it! Never a slow start and always pretty damn smooth.

On another note, my bank just hit me with $125 worth of Amazon points, and I'm thinking about grabbing something nice from there. Maybe a Pelikan, or a Lamy 2K.
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:44 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

The problem w/ the feeds was that they would push up on the nib. This would open the nib up and move the tines out of alignment :/

Lamy 2k's are nice, looks like a F goes for about $130 on Amazon Smile

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:32 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Not fond of the Pelikans? I know you have two demonstrators.
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:14 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

They are ok, a bit too "classic" for my taste Wink

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:34 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Safe and sound! Thanks for the bonus, btw! Completely unexpected.

Pun
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:52 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I've been writing with it off and on for a few hours now. It seems like it's taking to the Lamy Turquoise just fine. I love the way it feels in my hand. perfect weight and size for my taste (posted). The nib seems perfect. It's great! Can't wait to take it to work tomorrow.
Pun
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:28 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Not bad for a cell phone shot.
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:22 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Very nice. Cool Glad you like the pen, I'll keep an eye open for a teal hood.

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:52 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Pun wrote:
Right now I'm coveting that special edition Midori Traveler's Notebook. It's exorbitantly priced, but I want one.

Quick heads up -- it's supposed to arrive on Fri, Aug 30th.

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:22 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Hah! Came here to say that. ^
Pun
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:32 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Hesitated on this purchase for a long time because I generally don't like metal body pens, but so glad I finally pulled the trigger. This thing is quality and quite stylish.

70's Parker 45 Flighter, fine

Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:07 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I like the 45's, great workers. Only caveat is the collector design that makes them a bit hard to flush. Not a problem as long you don't use ig based inks (a 75 or Sonnet is better suited for ig inks.) The one thing I don't like about this particular 45 flighter is the chrome cone attached to the back end -- it breaks up the clean look and it's weighted. I do own one tho Smile

I thought long and hard about getting that journal, in the end I decided against it -- I just don't write down enough to justify this kind of book. Sad For my usage pattern the small Rhodia Calendar is perfect.

Edit: Pics to show what I mean:

Top-down:

75 S (for comparison), flighter, GT, USA, 1970s (?)
45 M, black plastic, GT, USA, 70s (?)
45 S, flighter, CT, USA, late 70s (?)
45 M, Harlequin Circlet, CT, England, 1981

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:30 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I love that Harlequin. I almost bought a shield pattern 45, but it's not nearly as cool as the circlet.
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:41 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Quick heads up -- LAMY 2000 Stainless Steel is on Massdrop for $210. 21 left as of this post, they will go quick ! Click.

Edit: Gone :/

View previous topic :: View next topic