Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Tech Forum > Server/HTPC rebuild Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:05 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Wanted to add a HDD to my little server machine, had to re-case it for that.

Here's the original setup:

Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI, i3-3225, 2x4GB DDR3-1600
Samsung SSD 840 120GB
Samsung DVR SN-208DB
Seasonic SSR-360GP
Lian-Li PC-Q03B
W7U64

Was a bit crammed in there Smile...

Stuffed everything into the new case:

Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI, i3-3225, 2x2GB DDR3-1600
Samsung SSD 840 120GB
ASUS DRW-24B1ST
Western Digital Red 1TB
Seasonic SSR-360GP
Lian-Li PC-Q27A
W7U64

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:03 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Well, my PS3 is getting a bit long in the tooth, so I started to put a HTPC together. Plan was to use the Q03 case (hence moving the server into the Q27 case) but I came across two roadblocks: The Q03 case is not really suited for a beefier CPU (stingy on the airflow...) and slimline tray loaders are a PITA. The one BD slot loader available isn't the best quality, not to mention the price of these drives. So it's back into the Q03 case for the server, fortunately there was space on top of the DVR drive to slip the SSD into Smile Getting everything in there is a bit like a mixture of pulling teeth and wrestling snakes...

Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI, i3-3225, 2x2GB DDR3-1600
Samsung SSD 840 120GB
Samsung DVR SN-208DB
Western Digital Red 1TB
Seasonic SSR-360GP
Lian-Li PC-Q03B
W7U64

I'll post some pics once I get going w/ the HTPC, I have everything at hand except the board and the CPU. Waiting for the ASUS Maximus VI Impact to hit the shelves, planning to move that into the "carry" computer and use the ASRock board from it in the HTPC.

2*pi*r

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:32 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

What hardware is going into the HTPC? I'm mostly curious about your Blu-ray drive, HDD(s), and tuner(s).

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:38 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Foil wrote:
What hardware is going into the HTPC? I'm mostly curious about your Blu-ray drive, HDD(s), and tuner(s).

- Pioneer BDR-2208
- Samsung 830 128GB SSD
- WD AV-25 1TB

Haven't decided on a tuner yet, eyeballing this one.

2*pi*r

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:00 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Nice!

Are you going to be using the tuner for OTA channels, or cable/ClearQAM?

If you're using cable, I highly recommend going to a CableCard tuner, because I found that the ClearQAM channel-mapping out here (Comcast) changes frequently, and it's a pain to deal with at times. On the other hand, using CableCards has been pretty painless, and I get all my subscribed channels that way.

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:06 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

OTA -- I don't have cable (physically.) I'm still undecided about getting a tuner, would be the first time after 25 years I would be able to watch TV. I'm not really missing it. Wink

2*pi*r

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:15 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Understood. I recently helped a friend set up his PC with a similar tuner, and he rarely uses the DVR/TV functionality, other than to for an occasional local sports game.

Looks like the BD drive comes with PowerDVD 10; is that what you'll be using for Blu-ray playback?

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:34 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I got a deal on PDVD 13 Ultra a while back, so I will be using that. The included version would work too (needs an update for W8 tho.)

Took a picture of what I have so far, will post it in the evening. Not that exiting w/o mainboard & CPU tho Wink

2*pi*r

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:57 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Definitely stick with the newer version. I'd been using PowerDVD 8 Ultra for quite a while; then a year or two ago, they dropped support for it, and I started coming across newer Blu-rays which it wouldn't play. I'm using PDVD 12 Ultra now.

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:44 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I'll probably use v13 since I'm planning to install W8P, even though it'll mean that I can't play BD iso's of disks protected w/ Cinavia. IIRC PDVD started heeding it w/ a late v10 patch which I would need for W8 compatibility Sad

Here's what I got so far (sans the WD disk and an air filter that goes underneath the case):

In detail, starting w/ the left pic, back-front, left-right:

- Pioneer drive
- PowerDVD 13, RAM
- KB w/ mouse pad, CPU cooler, SSD
- MCE remote, power cables for the drives, CPU fan

Currently in the case (Lian-Li Q27A):

- Pioneer drive
- PSU (semi modular SeaSonic)
- case fan, 15x140mm (ditching the mount for a big HDD)

I'll be taking & posting pics from the assembly process.

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:48 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

have the same kb. The laser on it is fun during the commercials with the cats Wink

JBOMB - "kinda...cause after you smoke enough bowls you end up realizing you are both 2 idiots jumping around in front of a tv.."
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:42 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Should be perfect to get the cats off me when trying to watch something. I'm using a Logitec K400r on the WIP machine, works reasonably well for actual typing while being light, mobile and relatively small (great as a server kb/mouse. Mind the Power PC key tho Wink.) Was planning to get another one until I came across "Worlds Most Mini Keyboard" for just $18. Smile

Re Cinavia -- looks like Cyberlink started adding it w/ PDVD 12 and the PDVD 10 that came w/ the drive is supposed to work w/ W8. Decisions, decisions... I have to dig a bit deeper, but so far I have not found any indication that this drive has Cinavia support in its firmware. Smile

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:30 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Hah, just got the latest AnyDVD update notice:

SlySoft wrote:
Here the list of fixes and improvements:

7.3.0.0 2013 08 10
- New: AnyDVD's unique Cinavia fix will prevent all currently
existing software players - including all TMT 5 and 6 versions,
all PowerDVD 12 and 13 versions, all PowerDVD 10 OEM versions,
all WinDVD 11 versions, all Nero Blu-ray player versions - to detect
Cinavia.

Mr. Green

2*pi*r

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:34 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I've had these two for the last couple of years:

IOGear GKM681R HTPC keyboard

MCE Remote

The remote is perfect for casual DVR / Blu-ray viewing, and the keyboard works great for the rest.

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:01 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

That remote looks is pretty close to the one I bought used off Amazon, Rosewill RRC-126. I only need the receiver, got a Logitech Harmony 650 for the living room controlling everything (even the light Smile)

2*pi*r

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:05 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

That Harmony 650 working well for you? I've been considering something like it for a while now.

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:21 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Yes, wouldn't miss it. I've been using a 620 and later the 650 ever since I had put together an "entertainment center". It integrates all remotes (screen, sound system, Nyko remote for PS3, DVD player, Lutron light switch, the PC once it's up) and allows you to map everything for different "activities" (watch TV, watch Movie, listen to music etc.) Very nifty. If you consider one, the 650 is pretty much it. The other models are either too expensive or clunky.

2*pi*r

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:35 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Does the online-programming system work well, or have you manually programmed the various remote functions?

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:36 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Works well, took all of 10min to set up the 650. Smile All remotes I have are in the online data base, didn't have to dick around w/ recording anything. Most of the 10min was modifying the activities layout, also pretty easy (drag & drop.) Only caveat is that myharmony.com needs ie + Silverlight (haven't tried the standalone app.)

2*pi*r

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:26 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Good to know, thank you!

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:08 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Alright, here we go -- got the last part today, the mainboard. Time to put everything together Smile

Getting ready to go:

Disks mounted in the carrier, CPU & memory dropped in, figuring out how the cooler will fit:

Cooler mounted, board is ready for deployment:

Board cased, CPU fan mounted, case fan hooked up:

[A bit later] PSU about to go in:

Whew Smile

I like the simple look:

Booted right up, W8P is installed, HDD is formatting as I write this. So far so good, lots of work left on the software side.

More pictures at drive.google.com/ under folderview?id=0ByFalc_WhYoscEF2eTFZck1mTkE&usp=sharing

Specs:

ASUS Z87I-Deluxe (Z87), i5-4570S, 2x2GB DDR3-1600
Cooling: Prolimatech USV14, Samuel 17, GELID Slim 12 PL
Samsung SSD 830 128GB
Western Digital AV-25 1TB
Pioneer BD-2208
Seasonic SSR-550RM
Lian-Li PC-Q27A

2*pi*r

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:54 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I like that Lian Li case. Very simple / classic.

I'm currently using this one, which is a little busy on the bezel, but it has room to spare.

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:01 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Hm, since the MCE for W8P costs ten bucks and only can be bought of the MS store (don't like the idea of them having my CC info) I'm looking for alternatives. Eyeballing XMBC right now, any suggestions ?

Insane!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:32 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I actually really like xbmc as a whole. I especially like that I can watch hulu free, minus the advertisements! Smile I even have the android remote app, so I can control it from the couch! The only problem I have with it, is that the dvd playback is a little wonky. For some reason, it doesn't like to play discs from virtually mounted images.
Foil
2*pi*r

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:05 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

My experience with xbmc was mixed. Since I primarily use my media center for DVR (Blu-ray / Netflix / etc. are secondary), and xbmc tv listings can be a pain, I didn't stick with it for long.

I also tried Win8 about a year ago, but went back to a Win7-based HTPC because of a couple of driver issues with my hardware. The Win8 drivers are probably more stable now, but I don't feel like changing yet.

P.S. Gren, I came across a deal online last year, where I got a free product key for the Win8 MC add-on. I'd already purchased the add-on at the time, so it's an unused/spare key. If you'd like it, PM me.

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:11 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Thanks guys (PM sent.) Going to check out both.

2*pi*r

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:03 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Dammit, just now saw the fine print that says it had to be activated by Feb. 1st of this year. I'm sorry.

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:17 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Well, learned something -- after typing in the key it says "Good to go." Unfortunately the activation says "Key blocked". After W8P got morphed into W8PwMCE. Huge PITA to revert back to W8P :/ (Basically a reinstall of W8P while keeping the settings.) MS could have handled that a bit more gracefully. Bottom line -- don't use expired keys. Confused

2*pi*r

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:11 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Ouch. I'm sorry.

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:09 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

No problem, the machine seems to do just fine Smile Moved it into the living room for integration.

Here is something for people interested in building small computers -- this one:

Grendel wrote:
Grendel wrote:
Altho, I'm tempted to build a Haswell based system using this case... Mr. Green

Since I need a machine I can lug around w/ a bit more power than a laptop I put this puppy together:

Ever since I saw the ASUS Maximus VI Impact announcement I was waiting for it to hit the shelves. So when it did I pulled the trigger (well, after making sure I can unload the ASRock board for a decent price...) Had it sitting here for a few days and finally found the time to work on it.

For the transplant everything had to come out, here's a couple shots after the board got assembled, loaded w/ CPU and memory, and mounted into the case -- this must be the most dense board I have ever worked with:

CPU cooler mounted, most connections hooked up:

Waiting for the PSU:

All set:

Startup went surprisingly well, I just had to re-activate W7 and install the drivers specific to the new board. Picked right up where the old board left after that Smile