Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Tech Forum > ISO: Help connecting to the Internet Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Money!
Ace

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:13 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Well, it's a bit embarrassing, but I am unable to connect to my wireless Internet. If anyone is able to lend a hand to this computer illiterate fellow, I'd greatly appreciate the help.

Due to some construction, I recently had to unplug and move my router and modem to another room of the house. I plugged them back in, all the wires are going to the right places, and all the right lights are on. But when I try to connect, my laptop doesn't "see" the network that was there before. My goal is to either enable my laptop to see the network, or, if it's gone, re-set it up and connect to it.

I've tried shutting everything off for 30 seconds and then turning everything back on. I don't think my modem is the problem because I can connect through Ethernet (although the connection is very inconsistent). I've tried to "create a network" in the Network and Sharing Center but my computer doesn't detect anything.

Does anyone have ideas for things to try?

Also, I had taped some information to my router. I have my router username, router password, network name (SSID), network security type, network security key, Router PIN, WAN, Gateway, and LAN. I don't know what half these things are but I thought maybe they'd be worth posting in case they're useful for trying different things.

Thanks guys.

damn you.
MD-2389
Insane!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:08 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Could try a factory reset on the router, then set it up again. You should have an option to save your current configuration as well.
Money!
Ace

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:10 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

MD-2389 wrote:
Could try a factory reset on the router, then set it up again. You should have an option to save your current configuration as well.

How does one do a factory reset? What does that mean?

damn you.
Krom
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:18 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

It means: RTFM. Razz

(19:11) [D3k]Gooberman: pffft, I didnt get owned baal, you just got 60 lucky fusion shots
MD-2389
Insane!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:41 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Money! wrote:
MD-2389 wrote:

How does one do a factory reset? What does that mean?

Login to your router, and go into the admin settings. The option should be there. If you want detailed instructions, drop the make/model of your router.
BUBBALOU
Insane!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:52 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Do you see any wireless networks at all?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:33 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Thank you for the responses guys.

Krom: Don't know what RTFM means. Unless it means read the fucking manual, which I don't have.

MD: It's a Netgear Wireless-N 300 Router WNR2000 v2. On the router it says to login at http://www.routerlogin.net/ but my browser can't find that server. Another website said to go to http://192.168.2.1/ but that doesn't work either, the browser says things are taking "too long to respond." It seems like a catch-22: if I'm plugged into Ethernet and not the router, I can access the internet but not the router, and if I'm plugged into the router but not Ethernet, I can't access the internet and thus can't access the router.

Bubba: Yes, I can see wireless networks from the houses around me.

damn you.
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:58 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Manual is here. Try to login at http://192.168.1.1 (u:admin, p:password)

DBB Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:20 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Out of curiosity, when you connect your laptop via ethernet, are you connecting directly to the modem?

MD-2389
Insane!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:30 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

What subnet are you on? (winkey + r to bring up command prompt. type cmd and click ok. When the prompt appears, type in IPCONFIG and hit enter. You should get something like this:

Code:
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.2
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

(I'm on wired, but you get the idea.)

The IP address you want to type into your browser is your Default Gateway.
BUBBALOU
Insane!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:40 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Sounds like a adaptor properties config issue withe a static ip and or custom DNA, mayby a proxy setting or host file issue

Reset all your network setting to default please...before continuing any further TYVM

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:47 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Alright guys, it's fixed. Thank you for the help.

I had spent about an hour trying all the things you suggested. Gren, I read through the whole manual, tried logging in w/ no luck, tried the different troubleshooting tips w/ no luck. MD, I ran the command prompt, tried to log in with the info there as you suggested (thank you for spelling all that out clearly, by the way, I really am computer illiterate), no luck, so I typed up everything on the command prompt exactly in preparation of posting it here. Bubba, I tried following the directions in that link with no luck.

I was writing my next post with a response to each of you when I figured it out. Gren, I was explaining the different things I had tried under your direction, and by the off chance decided to go through each light I was seeing on the router and giving its corresponding meaning from the manual. This is what I had typed out to you:

Money! wrote:

Gren:
Thank you for posting that. I read through the manual. Most of what it suggests for setup and troubleshooting requires one to log in, which I still can't do. Tried 192.168.1.1 with no luck.

I reset the modem/router in the fashion the manual suggests. In case it's any use, when I turn everything (modem, router, computer, and router/modem are hooked up) back on, for the router: the power button is solid green, which means "the power is on and the router is ready"; the internet button is solid green, which means "the wireless router has acquired an IP address", the wireless button is off, which means "the wireless interface is turned off"

and then I stopped typing. I didn't realize the light was even missing. At the very beginning of this whole process, I had found a button on the back of the router marked "Wireless: on/off" and pushed it and pushed it to no avail. This time, for shits, I pushed and held it.. and that blue wireless button came on. From there it was all good.

So, I feel dumb, but there's honestly no way I would have figured this out without your guys suggestions and prompts. I had tried that button before and there's no way I would have tried it again.

Sorry if I wasted your time, but I do really appreciate the help and support you guys give. I always feel like I have a real, thoughtful, genuine resource to turn to when I have computer problems (although maybe I'm wearing that resource thin with stupid questions...)

Thanks guys!!

damn you.
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:10 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Sometimes it takes a moment to realize a pachyderm is in the room Wink Glad it worked out. Cool

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:15 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Grendel wrote:
Sometimes it takes a moment to realize a pachyderm is in the room Wink Glad it worked out. Cool

You know he is gonna have to google that word to understand what you just told him.... Shame on you...

JBOMB - "kinda...cause after you smoke enough bowls you end up realizing you are both 2 idiots jumping around in front of a tv.."
Money!
Ace

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:33 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

STRESSTEST wrote:
Grendel wrote:

You know he is gonna have to google that word to understand what you just told him.... Shame on you...

Stress can you please explain in more detail how to do that?

Haha Gren that's a great word, never heard it before. No shame when it comes to computer problems for me

damn you.
Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:20 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

It boggles the mind that one can make it through an institution of higher learning so devoid of general knowledge. On the other hand, those crazy progressives are so busy re-writing our already tattered cultural heritage, maybe it shouldn't. Kids these days don't ever even see the old loony toons, for example.

View previous topic :: View next topic