Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Hobby Lobby > Designing small things that can be made with big tools Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roid
Inane!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:21 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Designing small things that can be made with big tools...
For example: Huge kerfs, how do you design around that?

It feels like this must be a really common design challenge, yet i'm having trouble finding examples of things designed with these constraints.
So, is this a problem that others here have had to deal with? Any carpenters here?
Any tips would be appreciated. I'm not even sure of the terminology yet.

The things i'm designing are aimed at being really small, the size of the kerf has become my primary design limit.
(How small am i aiming for? Well, i hope to break into microscale as my tooling allows, the designs scale rather drastically. But these types of problems are universal, scale is irrelevant at this stage.)
Are all my designs going to turn into a strange vector equivalent of pixel art? What would that even look like, i need to learn howto recognise this when i see it.
(update: i guess it would look like trying to mow designs into a lawn with a lawnmower)

(This is a Kerf
http://blog.ponoko.com/2008/09/11/how-much-material-does-the-laser-burn-away/
When you're cutting/machining material, the Kerf is the width of the cut. It's the width of your saw blade, the diameter of your router bit or laser-cutting beam, etc.)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:23 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

the design employs locking joints such as these

http://blog.makezine.com/2012/04/13/cnc-panel-joinery-notebook/

should be interesting trying to make them with giant radii

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:27 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

DwnUndr is the only carpenter I can think of around here; he may have some good feedback.

Inane!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:22 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Well i just sent my first prototype file for an offshoot-project off to Ponoko to be laser-cut, its only 2mm acrylic so the main size limit on that design is the material's thickness.
(yep the design is all pre-compensated for expected kerf widths and for +/- material thickness tolerances, gotta run a tight ship yo.)

IIRC once the material thickness is around 6x the kerf diameter or less (so around 1.2mm thickness acrylic), then my current design starts having problems. That's when i'll be forced to switch over to the crazy kerf-ambivalent design strategies i've been enjoying my holiday from (while i work on this side-project). Fun fun fun.

Ponoko also offers 0.1mm Mylar as a material, which is half the width of a kerf cut through it. It's the thinnest material Ponoko offers and it's properties are perfect, oh yes, it shall be a worthy opponent Twisted Evil

Look at the image embedded in my previous post, and now try to figure out howto make that with a cutting tool-head 2x the width of the material itself! It's not possible, it's like trying to cut a slice of cake off by dropping the oven on the cake - whoops! But with some tweaking of the design of the cake, is it possible? hohoho, plausibly Wink.

(No this isn't the sex toy. If anyone's confused, i have ~3 related but separate projects atm: One's for micro-surgical robot arms (this is what the kerf gymnastics is all about), another project is smartphone mounted robot arms (just ordered first run of acrylic prototypes), and another project is a sex toy.)