Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Tech Forum > Looking to upgrade my 2009 system build Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:28 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Ok, try this:

- change the registry key to 0 (zero)
- power down the machine
- connect the SSD or the WD drive to port 3
- power up into the BIOS and change the RAID Mode to AHCI
- boot into windows, reboot when asked to, and test again.

Post what is happening. I'll be watching the board for at least another hour or so.

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:55 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Oof. BSOD on windows startup screen now. What did you do to my poor machine?!
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:08 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Switching the RAID Mode back to IDE will clear the BSOD. Double check if the keys value is really 0 now.

Info was from this guide:

Hilbert wrote:
A little guide:

I am receiving a lot of emails from users who bought a SSD drive, installed Windows 7 in IDE mode and then realize they need AHCI mode for faster SSD performance. Once you enable that in the BIOS during Windows 7 boot up, the OS will crash.

The common question is, is there a solve for this ?

To answer that question (and I do this safely with all Intel ICHR9/10 chipsets) there is a way to safely enable AHCI mode. Here we go:

1. Startup "Regedit
2. Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SYSTEM / CurrentControlset / Services
3. Open msahci
4. In the right field left click on "Start" and go to Modify
5. In the value Data field enter "0" and click "ok"
6. exit "Regedit"
7. Reboot Rig and enter BIOS (hold "Delete" key while Booting

In your BIOS select "Integrated Peripherals" and OnChip PATA/SATA Devices. Now change SATA Mode to AHCI from IDE.

You now boot into windows 7, the OS will recognize AHCI and install the devices. Now the system needs one more reboot and voilla .. enjoy the improved SSD performance.

If this doesn't work, try changing a 2nd key as per Microsoft:

Microsoft wrote:
To resolve this issue yourself, enable the AHCI driver in the registry before you change the SATA mode of the boot drive. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Exit all Windows-based programs.
2. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
3. If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.
4. Locate and then click one of the following registry subkeys:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\IastorV
5. In the pane on the right side, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.
6. In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
7. On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:16 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Yeah, I switched it back and it fired right up. Will look further into this. Thanks. BTW, the OC only bumped it to 7.5. :/
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:21 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Was there a change in the SSD speed after connecting the WD drove or SSD to port 3 ? If not, try connecting the ODD to port 5 (I remember having seen strange things w/ a ODD on the highest port of an Intel based board w/ 6 ports. In that case the SATA I ODD was dragging down the speed of other ports.)

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:30 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

It's hard to tell if there was a change. Everything is stupid fast now, but I just overclocked the shit out of this thing, and doubled the memory.

Changed that second key and switched over again. No joy. More BSOD.

Will try moving the ODD over tomorrow.
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:35 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Very strange. From the descriptions, changing the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci\Start key to 0 should do the trick Sad I'll dig around a bit if there is a know problem w/ that.

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:14 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I found one tutorial that says to run regedit as admin, give it a trry (altho I believe regedit runs as admin by default. But hey, you never know Smile)

Oh, and double check the boot priority in the BIOS after changing the RAID mode (change mode, save & exit but hit ctrl-alt-del before it starts booting and check the boot order.) I wonder if it tried to boot the other disk in your try... (if that thing is your original boot system it certainly would fail since the registry change was on the SSD...)

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:24 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Did you clone your OS from the hard drive, or did you do a fresh install?

(19:11) [D3k]Gooberman: pffft, I didnt get owned baal, you just got 60 lucky fusion shots
Pun
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:34 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Cloned it.

The boot order was the problem. I'm able to run with AHCI now, but still scoring 5.9 on the Windows Performance test. Wonder why...
Krom
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:36 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Grab this benchmark: http://alex-is.de/PHP/fusion/downloads.php?download_id=9 (scroll all the way to the bottom of the page for the download) In the top left corner of its window it will report some information about the drive (you don't actually have to run the benchmark to see this information, just opening the application is enough). Snap a picture of the window for us.

Edit: also, from an administrator command prompt window type: "fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify" (without the quotes), paste the response.

(19:11) [D3k]Gooberman: pffft, I didnt get owned baal, you just got 60 lucky fusion shots
Pun
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:45 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Ran the benchmark just for shits.
Pun
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:47 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

disabledeletenotify = 0
Krom
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:50 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Looks good. One last thing: Go into disk defragmenter and make sure its schedule is disabled for the SSD (you can still run it on the hard drives, just not on the SSD).

Pun
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:52 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Cool cool. So, don't worry about the 5.9 WEI score?
Pun
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:56 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

C: isn't even an option...

Krom
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:00 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Aye, windows *should* disable defrag when it detects a SSD, but always good to check, especially after it has been cloned to one from a hard drive.

5.9 is the kind of number you would get on a mechanical hard drive, it may just be reading the wrong drive or something stupid like that. At any rate, the AS-SSD benchmark is showing a SSD like result (if a bit slow for the drive, some of which is because of the SATA-II limit). I suppose one way to test would be to disconnect all other drives in the system except the SSD and run it again.

See: http://krom.sploitz.com/DBB/windowsexperienceindex.png
This is from a SATA-II (3 gbps) Intel 320 series / 160 GB drive, so even SATA-II can reach plenty high.

Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:39 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I dug around a bit -- the 5.9 score indicates that it's either measuring the WD drive or it's not detecting the Samsung drive as a SSD. Did you install the Samsung Magician tool and ran the OS Optimization ?

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:24 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Installed, but didn't run the optimization. I'll try that.
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:53 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I'm digging around for a new build (LightRoom finally pushed me over the edge...) and came across a case you may like. $90 at newegg. (Tempted to put this board into one Smile)

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:33 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I looked at that case. It's really nice. I wish it was anodized on the inside, and available in colors. (like yours, haha)
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:59 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Strangely, NewEgg had only black anodized Lian-Li cases last time I checked. I ended up getting that one, will post a pic as soon I have everything in it.

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:26 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Cool, thanks, man. I found one video review on it. It looks easy to work with. You think there's room for that evga 660 in there?
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:35 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

No problem if you can live w/ 4 HDD drive slots. I just finished putting most of the system together (the SoundBlaster Zx isn't in it yet), here's what it looks so far:

The soundcard will go betw. the PSU and the USB extension bracket (I hope Wink). This is what's in there:

Lian-Li PC-A04B:

ASUS Maximus V Gene, i7-3770K w/ Zalman CNPS9500AT, 2x 4GB PC1600
MSI N660 TF 2GD5/OC (a short GTX 660)
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB, 2x Seagate ST1000DM003 In RAID1, LG WH10LS30 (BD burner)
Seasonic X650

I did replace the whimpy 39CFM Lian-Li fans with 74CFM Arctic F12 PMW fans and added the Arctic F8 PWM. The case is relatively easy to work with altho not as easy as my big red case. Cable management is a challenge... Also, the case front panel cables got upgraded and the hole in the back w/ the rubber flap is gone. The front panel USB 3.0 and 2.0 ports now end in a 20-pin internal USB 3.0 connector. An adapter to hook the tail up to an internal USB 2.0 header is included as well.

Edit: Final version:

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:42 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

[aside]
Why I would need be able to change the operating frequency of the CPUs voltage regulators is beyond me. I'm sure the Intel engineers designing CPUs will be happy as clams to have that setting tho. Shocked [/aside]

View previous topic :: View next topic