Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Tech Forum > System Woes Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:55 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

My GTX 280 took a dump last weekend so I'm upgrading my system a bit. I'll stick w/ the old Maximus Formula + 9650 C2Q for now, ripping out the liquid cooling (I really don't need it and it's a PITA when it comes to any modifications of the system), adding a GTX 660, and swapping the X-Fi Elite for a Z SBX. Will post a pic or two once I'm back up running...

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:41 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Here we go:

SpongeBob

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:35 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Z SBX <-- ?

and which 660 is that? SC ? or stock? and how much, im thinking on getting a 660 or even 2 of them

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:25 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Sound Blaster Z. And yes, the 660 is the SC (listed it here.) Was the same price as the non-SC. Excellent price/performance in my book.

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:16 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Grendel wrote:
My GTX 280 took a dump last weekend

Turns out that wasn't the case. Updated system showed exactly the same symptoms yesterday (for the lack of a a better term: "shadow noise" in half the picture.) Apparently it's the monitor, turning it on/off "fixed" it. My guess is that something is wrong w/ one of the DVI links. Hm, have to check the cable for cat bites... $400 spent unneedlessly, altho the upgrades are nice.

Should have caught it before spending the money, I'm getting old I guess Sad

2*pi*r

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:36 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Might be able to sell that 280...

SpongeBob

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:40 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

LOL Grendel, dont ya hate it when cats get back behind ya desk?!

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:52 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Yea, that cat started doing it just before the problem showed up -- jump up the desk and disappear behind the monitor where I can't get to her w/in a second :/ Only way to get her out is to ignore her or leave the room...

Nah, not going to sell the card, too much hassle for too little money. I think I still have a 3rd party backup cooler for it somewhere, probably just mount it and either use it as backup or swap out the 260 in my folding computer.

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:18 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Just a quick followup -- not the cats fault, turns out it's a known problem of that monitor model Rolling Eyes. I did repurpose the 280 card, it's now happily chewing 24/7 on F@H problems.

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:34 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

(I split this thread out of "Building the new system this weekend...")

Well, two days ago that damn monitor did it again. I finally chatted w/ Dell (after figuring out it's under warranty until 06/13 Smile) -- going to pick up the replacement monitor later today Very Happy

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:59 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Picked it up, cleaned my desk, and swapped it out -- so far it works fine Very Happy Old one is in the box and will go back on Fri. Love the supplied shipping label, great service ! Now let's hope they fixed the design flaw -- if not, it better craps out before June Smile

BTW, this is how it looked like:

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:14 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Grendel wrote:

What case is that? Is it a full tower? If so, do they make a short version?
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:42 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

It's a Lian-Li PC-8FI (red SE), mid tower (same as an Antec 900.) Got lucky, saw it when Newegg was selling it off for $100 (was $300 MSRP at that time) Smile For that price I can live w/ the spider shaped window... Wink

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:28 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Not so crazy about the spider window, but that's one damn sexy case. My relationship with my 900 is love/hate. It's got simply amazing cooling, but it's a total piece of shit to work with, not to mention it weighs a ton. Thinking about swapping out at some point. Not sure I'd pay 300 though.
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:52 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

This case is very similar in features (black tho.) So is this and this. Last one isn't AL but also easy to work w/, used it in a build at work.

I don't think you can buy the red case anymore Sad

Insane!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:27 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

take a napkin and coat it with Tabasco sauce rub it along the cables. and after it dries cat will no longer chew on your cables after the first or second time of reactivating the hot pepper sauce with saliva.....

HELLO KITTY!

word of caution do not rub your eyes after manhandling the cables for maintenance

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:10 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Heh. No need, they are pretty good about leaving cables alone. Plus, I'm sure I would be the one suffering the most from it... Smile