Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Tech Forum > Building the new system this weekend... Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
STRESSTEST
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:36 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Been almost 6 years since I built the core2 quad I am on now. Only thing I changed was putting in the GTX260 card in it from SLI 9600s a few years back or whenever it was that card came out.

New sys (waiting on the new water blocks and video card. They will be here before the weekend though)

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020

HGST Deskstar 7K1000.C 0F10383 1TB (D drive for bulk)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145304

ASRock Z77 Extreme6 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157295

Mushkin Enhanced Chronos MKNSSDCR240GB 2.5" 240GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226237

LG Black 14X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 12X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA BDXL Blu-ray Burner
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136250

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204

Intel Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116502

EVGA 02G-P4-2678-KR GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130787

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231429

VID-NX680 Water Block (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Video Card)
http://koolance.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=2039

CPU-370SI Water Block (Intel Processor)
http://koolance.com/cpu-370si-processor-water-block?path=0_29_44

Should scoot right along Smile I'll see about getting pics up in the sticky thread after it is done.

JBOMB - "kinda...cause after you smoke enough bowls you end up realizing you are both 2 idiots jumping around in front of a tv.."
Krom
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:37 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

6 years...Those Core 2 systems really held up well. I finally replaced my Core 2 Duo E6600 last December after pretty much exactly 5 years of near 24/7 service (built it in dec 2006, gave it a couple memory / GPU / HDD upgrades along the way). Since mine was virtually silent I moved it downstairs and plugged it into the HDTV, it now supplies a full desktop PC for streaming stuff off the web and also holds a 6 TB RAID full of DVD/Bluray rips.

If you had shopped around a bit you probably could have gotten a 2 TB mechanical drive for that same $99 price... I got a pair of 2 TB WD green drives at frys electronics for $90 each a couple months back. HDD prices are finally starting to recover after the floods.

(19:11) [D3k]Gooberman: pffft, I didnt get owned baal, you just got 60 lucky fusion shots
Foil
2*pi*r

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:41 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Krom wrote:
Those Core 2 systems really held up well.

Agreed! I've done some upgrades, but my gaming rig is still running on a Q6600.

Nice system, Stress. Been saving up for a while?

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:09 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Yeah, when I went back and looked at the original newegg invoice for my C2D system... $270 for 2 GB of RAM... Heh.

(19:11) [D3k]Gooberman: pffft, I didnt get owned baal, you just got 60 lucky fusion shots
AceCombat
SpongeBob

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:52 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

i have the same Asus DVD Burners.... they are awesome!!

i run 2 of them for direct copying from drive to drive without having to stage to HDD first

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:15 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Nice, everthing you need in there Smile Waiting for some pics...

AnyDVD FTW BTW ! Mr. Green

SpongeBob

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:32 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

i was just browsing the BD Drive feedback Stress, alot of negative reviews for inconsistent BD And DVD burns. id go Asus BD along with that Asus DVD Drive

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:45 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

AceCombat wrote:
i was just browsing the BD Drive feedback Stress, alot of negative reviews for inconsistent BD And DVD burns. id go Asus BD along with that Asus DVD Drive

Where ? NE has exactly one negative review for a similar problem that even could be caused by who-knows-what...

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:39 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

The only inconsistent burns I've ever gotten from any burner were caused by cheap ridata media. I've never had a problem with Verbatim media which is what I always use.

On all my burners I get a consistent 16x (or higher on faster burners) write speed on Verbatim 16x media, but the ridata 16x media causes most burners to reset to 4x write speed (a couple drives refuse to write it at faster than 2.4x even).

No matter how good your burner is, crappy disks will likely result in inconsistent burns.

AceCombat
SpongeBob

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:44 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Grendel wrote:
AceCombat wrote:

Where ? NE has exactly one negative review for a similar problem that even could be caused by who-knows-what...

the drive he listed....... the feedback on THAT drive

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:17 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I have "ZERO" plans on buying BD media nor burning BD discs. This is solely for ripping to MKV to be placed on the server.

The media server has two arrays on the same card.
4x1TB
4x3TB

Both are RAID 5 arrays. The 9TB array holds all the HD stuff. The 3TB array stores all my music / apps / archived docs.

Krom, you are right about the costs of the drives

Here is what I did folks

I added all of these things to the cart almost 3 months ago. I then saved the cart contents to a wishlist. Once that is done, Newegg does something for you some are not aware of.

Any time something on a wishlist goes on sale, Newegg will send you an email stating as much. I bought most of this system over the last couple months 1 piece at a time. All came with free shipping and no tax. I estimate I saved about 300 doing it that way give or take.

I saved the CPU and GPU for the end since both are at the leading edge and typically dont go on sale when they are out front like that.

To your point Krom, I got the drive first (almost 3 months ago) Smile

The Q6600 I was running only had a 320G drive in it and I seldom went over 100gigs used on it. Having a 1TB D: is plenty, and my 240gig SSD boot is more than enough. Remember I have a pair of arrays at my disposal Smile

System is done. That little Windows 7 test "Windows Experience" with no tweaks, just up to date drivers shows the system at:

Processor: 7.7
Memory: 7.8
Graphics: 7.9
Gaming Graphics: 7.9
Primary Hard Disk: 7.9

As you most know, 7.9 is as high as it goes, so pretty good. I might play with overclocking it at some point and those CPU / RAM numbers may move if I do but I am happy with the boost across the board I am getting. No hurry to play with that stuff at this time.

JBOMB - "kinda...cause after you smoke enough bowls you end up realizing you are both 2 idiots jumping around in front of a tv.."
Krom
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:32 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Yeah, I was thinking about asking what on earth were you going to do with a 240 GB SSD. Razz My 160 GB only has 54 GB used, I probably could have made it on an 80 GB SSD with no problems. Granted having the extra capacity does give some piece of mind when it comes to consistent performance (more spare area = less performance degradation since background garbage collection and TRIM won't have to hunt and peck). As for endurance, when I checked the total writes to my drive from its SMART readings after a couple months of use, I calculated that I wouldn't hit the flash endurance limits for over 300 years with my usage pattern, so that was a complete non-issue.

STRESSTEST
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:49 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Have you ever taken the time to look at the MTBF on these things?

I did some skimming and the lowest I found was 1.2 million hours. This Mushkin I got is rated at 2 million. Do the math, thats 238 years Smile

but you are right, I wanted some padding for the long haul since I am expecting this one to last as long as the last one did. And who knows...maybe even longer

Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:05 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Heh, having seen 5 SSDs failing around me over the last year (erasing themselves via firmware or hardware bug) -- MTBF numbers mean shit, the drive will be gone long before that. SSDs are great and if you ever have used one you will not go back. Just don't store anything important on them and if you do -- BACK IT UP ! Nowadays I clone my system drives about once a month since I'm too lazy rebuilding these if a drive craps out on me.

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:36 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Yeah, the MTBF is meaningless. Hard drives actually have the one up on SSDs in that aspect just because hard drives still more often than not fail "gracefully" allowing you to recover the data. SSDs just stop working completely all at once with no warning. But that is the toll one must pay in order to enjoy the cutting edge, it is already vastly superior to the first generation of SSDs and will continue to improve as the technology matures.

x2 the monthly backup, I have Windows 7 do a full drive image of C: to one of the hard drives every month. Granted a SSD dramatically accelerates the process of setting up a fresh Windows install so it isn't quite as painful as rebuilding on a hard drive. Reboots take only a few seconds, you can start using the PC immediately when the desktop shows, and installing / configuring applications and drivers is only limited by how fast you can work rather than any waiting for the system. Even throwing nearly a hundred windows updates on a new install only takes a couple minutes instead of the 30+ you would need on a conventional hard drive.

AceCombat
SpongeBob

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:11 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

im considering getting a small SSD for OS and Apps Only...... take my 750 GB WD Black edition and move EVERYTHING from my 500GB Seagate 7200.12 Barracuda drive to the 750.....then use the 500 for full C: backups...... OR ....... use the 750 AND the 500 for my backups/data

[deleted]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:18 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Just out of curiosity, what do you need all that processing power for?
Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:02 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

For speed. Duh.

Neo
[deleted]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:32 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Smile

Yeah but I'm just wondering what kind of apps does he need
Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:30 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Well, for starters, he can run minecraft at over 30 FPS in 1920x1080, unlike poor me.

STRESSTEST
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:35 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Neo wrote:
Just out of curiosity, what do you need all that processing power for?

6 years of future.

As I mentioned in the beginning of this thread I am not planning on doing anything to this system for that time frame. I bought to be future proof, at least in that time frame.

STRESSTEST
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:09 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

update to this system

The ram took a shit 3 weeks ago. I just ordered a new set while I suffered the bad ram. New ram in and problems went away. Now I have to send this other stuff back for replacement.... just cant be bothered... I'll get to it at some point I guess

View previous topic :: View next topic