Descent BB

 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

   Descent BB Forum Index > Ethics and Commentary > Is verbally abusing people just for going off topic ethical? Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
roid
Inane!




PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:10 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Neo wrote:


where link tho

_________________
i'm here to ... uh,
Neo
[deleted]




PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:23 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Maybe you shouldn't drink on Tuesdays.

Bunyip wrote:
Neo, your comments in regard to the real world are interesting because if you say something stupid "IRL" there are repercussions. In a truly no-brainer parallel, if you say something stupid online, there are also repercussions.

The difference is that IRL you're likely to get verbally abused - accompanied by a punch in the nose - while online they just verbally abuse you! That's a tough choice, right?

My question to you is how do you act IRL? Are you as contentious, difficult, contrary and offensive to others there as you are here? Do you walk up to people, interject extremely strange off-kilter & out of context comments into a conversation? Do you tell them you hope their house burns down because they disagree with you? Do you deride their hobbies and interests?


Your interpretation of what I said is quite illogical, actually. Do I always get a punch in the nose? Or do they? How can you be sure you would survive? What else happens? What types of things did I say or not say? Do you see why your reasoning is building a house of cards? Pretty much everyone says stupid things, some more than others.... and I seriously doubt you all never have. I've also said a lot of things to people because I didn't accept their stupidity either, and I'm sure you felt you had to do the same thing at some point, regardless of accuracy.

Do you know what people's perceptions of me are outside of some dark corner of the Internet? If I told you how real people treat me, would you believe me? Would you know why I'm treated the way I am? I know myself far better than you could. It doesn't matter how many fools agree on something. Herd mentality isn't justification, and even fools are right sometimes, or they wouldn't even exist.
Bunyip
DBB Staff




PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:44 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

My reasoning isn't building a house of cards. Your misinterpretation may be, but you're attempting to frame a chaotic outcome in simple if>then terms. I suspect you know better than that. The answer is "results may vary", along with "output may not scale linearly with input". Everyone makes stupid or silly mistakes occasionally, that's a given, but real stupidity is repeating unproductive behaviors over and over again without learning.

On another subject, I already know how a lot of real people treat you, and I know why you're treated that way. It's not how I choose to treat you and I feel they're mistaken, but you tend to reinforce the behaviors with your actions. Regardless, I wasn't discussing people's perceptions of you, I was asking you about your behavior in meatspace, with an eye to drawing some parallels. The question was mainly hypothetical - or possibly rhetorical. Food for thought, anyway.

Oh... and I will submit that you probably don't know yourself nearly as well as you think you do, although arguably you know yourself better than an outsider would unless they are Keith Barry or Derren Brown Wink Human behavior is an amazing tapestry of justifications for subvolitional actions which occurs AFTER the actions have taken place.

_________________
BELIEVE NOTHING, no matter where you read it, or who has said it,
not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason
and your own common sense. - GAUTAMA BUDDHA
Neo
[deleted]




PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:22 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

LOL... what a silly thing to say. You've never met me and you think you know how people treat me who actually do know me (no one here does). I never expected to see such a ridiculous statement from you, but these days I can see why you might say such things.

Real "stupidity" is not seeing an outcast's point of view just because he's outside of the herd mentality and assuming he'll never "learn." So who is not doing the learning here? You continually try to justify actions taken against me, whereas I never said posting off-topic is a good idea.

I also planned to drop the subject in the last case, just before pun decided to wave his ego around.

When you get terminated, I'd like you to tell me what your boss' response is when you tell him that customers need to "be a man." Get the heck outta here.
Bunyip
DBB Staff




PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:55 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Neo wrote:
LOL... what a silly thing to say. You've never met me and you think you know how people treat me who actually do know me (no one here does). I never expected to see such a ridiculous statement from you, but these days I can see why you might say such things.

Neo, I think that some of your assumptions may have been less than accurate:
Neo wrote:
If I told you how real people treat me, would you believe me?

Bunyip wrote:
I already know how a lot of real people treat you, and I know why you're treated that way. It's not how I choose to treat you and I feel they're mistaken, but you tend to reinforce the behaviors with your actions.

Unless of course, you expect me to believe that the people in what we like to call "the Descent Community" (many of whom I've met in person) are somehow not "real" I challenge your assertion that I somehow made an incorrect statement. Silly Ninja. Your tricks are for kids.
Neo wrote:
Real "stupidity" is not seeing an outcast's point of view just because he's outside of the herd mentality and assuming he'll never "learn." So who is not doing the learning here? You continually try to justify actions taken against me, whereas I never said posting off-topic is a good idea.

More incorrect assumptions. I make an effort to rise above what you term the "herd mentality" when dealing with people. I've never advocated following the herd but I think there is a lot of value in the concept: "when in Rome, do as the Romans do", if only as a form of protective camouflage. I'm trying to share something that's a hard-earned lesson, Neo - not just some tired and worn out platitude. To borrow a phrase, "You've never met me", and you don't know me, and you assume an awful lot about me.

Furthermore, There is a vast difference between "explaining" and "justifying". I realize you feel persecuted but I always try to be fair and evenhanded with you because I think you have a lot to offer even though you usually choose not to do so... and because quite frankly I feel a lot of empathy for you.
Neo wrote:
When you get terminated, I'd like you to tell me what your boss' response is when you tell him that customers need to "be a man." Get the heck outta here.

That ought to be interesting considering that I'm self-employed... But I never talk shit to customers! If they're difficult or annoying they pay premium prices and if they choose not to do business with us that is just fine with me. Usually they end up coming back though because I can afford to smile even when they're unusually irritating, considering the PITA surcharge I add.

Besides, this isn't about me. Is it? Smile

_________________
BELIEVE NOTHING, no matter where you read it, or who has said it,
not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason
and your own common sense. - GAUTAMA BUDDHA
roid
Inane!




PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:47 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Neo your non-answer just makes it easy to assume you're lying and wipe my hands of it.

_________________
i'm here to ... uh,
Neo
[deleted]




PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:35 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

You deserve nothing more than a non-answer because you've made it quite clear that you hate talking to me. Why you would even bother to pretend to be concerned about a reply is beyond me. Everyone seems to like you here; I don't see why you feel the need to pretend like you care.

Bunyip wrote:
Neo wrote:
LOL... what a silly thing to say. You've never met me and you think you know how people treat me who actually do know me (no one here does). I never expected to see such a ridiculous statement from you, but these days I can see why you might say such things.

Neo, I think that some of your assumptions may have been less than accurate:
Neo wrote:
If I told you how real people treat me, would you believe me?

Bunyip wrote:
I already know how a lot of real people treat you, and I know why you're treated that way. It's not how I choose to treat you and I feel they're mistaken, but you tend to reinforce the behaviors with your actions.

Unless of course, you expect me to believe that the people in what we like to call "the Descent Community" (many of whom I've met in person) are somehow not "real" I challenge your assertion that I somehow made an incorrect statement. Silly Ninja. Your tricks are for kids.


What I meant was that none of them know anything about who I am. "Real people" who have seen me and known things about me and talked to me in person never do any of the things that the Descent "community" does, and if they did they wouldn't have made it too far with that. I've had few enemies as well. You don't have to take it literally.

Quote:
Neo wrote:
Real "stupidity" is not seeing an outcast's point of view just because he's outside of the herd mentality and assuming he'll never "learn." So who is not doing the learning here? You continually try to justify actions taken against me, whereas I never said posting off-topic is a good idea.

More incorrect assumptions. I make an effort to rise above what you term the "herd mentality" when dealing with people. I've never advocated following the herd but I think there is a lot of value in the concept: "when in Rome, do as the Romans do", if only as a form of protective camouflage. I'm trying to share something that's a hard-earned lesson, Neo - not just some tired and worn out platitude. To borrow a phrase, "You've never met me", and you don't know me, and you assume an awful lot about me.


You didn't advocate it, but you condoned it and you often participated in it. That was my only issue that was specific to you.

Quote:
Furthermore, There is a vast difference between "explaining" and "justifying". I realize you feel persecuted but I always try to be fair and evenhanded with you because I think you have a lot to offer even though you usually choose not to do so... and because quite frankly I feel a lot of empathy for you.
Neo wrote:
When you get terminated, I'd like you to tell me what your boss' response is when you tell him that customers need to "be a man." Get the heck outta here.

That ought to be interesting considering that I'm self-employed... But I never talk shit to customers! If they're difficult or annoying they pay premium prices and if they choose not to do business with us that is just fine with me. Usually they end up coming back though because I can afford to smile even when they're unusually irritating, considering the PITA surcharge I add.


Regardless of who your employer is, I think I've just shown here that the "high school mentality" doesn't work anywhere else.

Quote:
Besides, this isn't about me. Is it? Smile


No, it isn't about you, otherwise I'd bring up the issue in private with you and no one else. Razz
Neo
[deleted]




PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:57 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Dedman, pick up your spleen.

Bunyip wrote:
Oh... and I will submit that you probably don't know yourself nearly as well as you think you do, although arguably you know yourself better than an outsider would unless they are Keith Barry or Derren Brown Wink Human behavior is an amazing tapestry of justifications for subvolitional actions which occurs AFTER the actions have taken place.


Well that was my whole point, silly. Razz It's not possible for me to know everything there is to know about myself, but I know far more than any of you. Anyone who thinks the dissent community is an accurate reflection of my life is an idiot. If I had to feel like I was being victimized with everyone hating me every second, I would've killed myself at 10 years of age before Descent was ever released. LOL Razz

Anyway, back to the main issue: is it ethical to stab people in the face for posting off-topic? What if I had been allowed to drop the issue after being asked tactfully to stay on topic?
Bunyip
DBB Staff




PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:22 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Neo wrote:
You didn't advocate it, but you condoned it and you often participated in it. That was my only issue that was specific to you.


When you pick up the gauntlet, you've consented to whatever follows - and I'm utterly unapologetic about any role I may have played. Silly Ninja. I am an equal opportunity font of sarcasm and I snipe at will, though I keep it mild where there's no ill will or outright willful stupidity. It's not personal, and once again, you knew that Wink

Neo wrote:
Anyway, back to the main issue: is it ethical to stab people in the face for posting off-topic? What if I had been allowed to drop the issue after being asked tactfully to stay on topic?


Here we get into murky territory where things like your track record come into play. I'm sorry to say, your reputation precedes you. The choice is yours, my friend: live it down or perpetuate it. It's up to you.

_________________
BELIEVE NOTHING, no matter where you read it, or who has said it,
not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason
and your own common sense. - GAUTAMA BUDDHA
Neo
[deleted]




PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:38 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Bunyip wrote:
Neo wrote:
You didn't advocate it, but you condoned it and you often participated in it. That was my only issue that was specific to you.


When you pick up the gauntlet, you've consented to whatever follows - and I'm utterly unapologetic about any role I may have played. Silly Ninja. I am an equal opportunity font of sarcasm and I snipe at will, though I keep it mild where there's no ill will or outright willful stupidity. It's not personal, and once again, you knew that ;


If you knew I knew that, then why were you talking about not advocating it? You made it personal. Ignorance is no excuse. Razz

Quote:
Here we get into murky territory where things like your track record come into play. I'm sorry to say, your reputation precedes you. The choice is yours, my friend: live it down or perpetuate it. It's up to you.


That's because you don't understand it. Nice try with the "reputation precedes you" garbage, but reciting such things is a thoughtless and imitative process. 1,000 retards aren't smarter than 1 normal person just because they all agree with each other. That's an extreme analogy, but you get the point.

We're not running track here. Razz
Bunyip
DBB Staff




PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:42 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Now you're just talking nonsense. But you knew that. Wink

_________________
BELIEVE NOTHING, no matter where you read it, or who has said it,
not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason
and your own common sense. - GAUTAMA BUDDHA
Neo
[deleted]




PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:59 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Nope, that's just your perception.
Bunyip
DBB Staff




PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:44 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I am whatever you say I am, If I wasn't, then why would I say I am?

_________________
BELIEVE NOTHING, no matter where you read it, or who has said it,
not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason
and your own common sense. - GAUTAMA BUDDHA
Neo
[deleted]




PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:18 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I have no idea what you are or if you're even human at this point.
Bunyip
DBB Staff




PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:11 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Alan Turing would surely disagree.

_________________
BELIEVE NOTHING, no matter where you read it, or who has said it,
not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason
and your own common sense. - GAUTAMA BUDDHA
Neo
[deleted]




PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:52 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

heh
Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic
Jump to:  
   Descent BB Forum Index > Ethics and Commentary > Is verbally abusing people just for going off topic ethical?

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Image hosting by postimage.org Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group