Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Hobby Lobby > Mountain Bikers - anyone? Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Money!
Ace

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:28 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Anyone here mountain bike? For how long? What do you ride? Favorite types of trails? Places you've been?

damn you.
Foil
2*pi*r

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:54 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Wish I could. Being so near the Rocky Mountains, there are excellent places to ride all over here, but my back wouldn't take it.

Ace

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:25 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Damn. Yea in terms of wear on your body, biking is a great way to avoid the damage to your ankles and knees involved in running, but the back definitely gets strained. Wish I was near the Rockies though, you guys must have great riding.

damn you.
roid
Inane!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:20 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

The cheapass department store "warning: for onroad use only" 'mountain bikes' i ride round the streets just don't cut it for anything rough. The derailleur smashes around noisily, the poor baby is just not enjoying itself at all.
But i imagine i'd have to spend $hundreds to get something suitable.
I have this hipster notion of going back to a BMX like in my childhood. I remember them working well when being kicked around at least. But i'm sure i'll regret it.

/me watches thread with interest

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:09 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Well I just got a new bike about a month ago after doing maybe 3 months of research, if you need help buying let me know. But yea, don't buy a bike from a department store, their poor quality verges on making them unsafe. A good entry-level hardtail bike is going to run you 450+ new (I'm thinking Specialized Hardrock) and it goes way up from there. You can get good deals on used bikes, just takes a bit more work.

BMX bikes are a great value (ex: super durable) as long as you plan to use them for their intended purpose.

damn you.
roid
Inane!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:40 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

This thread has me pondering again the viability of ditching the car completely and using a bike, public transport, taxis, hire-cars, etc.

a few days ago i ran some figures and came to a strange conclusion, it turns out that where i live bikes are actually faster than public transport. (!!!)
It's only when the distance gets over 20km or so (1 to 1.5 hrs) that public transport starts to finally edge ahead.

It's coz you have to factor in the:
- amount of time you wait for buses/trains to arrive.
- their non-direct round-about route.
- walking time to and from stations.

i never realised this. mind somewhat blown.

but on the other side of the debate my car journeys are at least 2-4x faster, and time IS money. But i could just think of it as gym time, keepin' healthy.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:58 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Factor the risk of becoming a casualty into your equation. Where I live, it's frighteningly large.

roid
Inane!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:49 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

yes there's plenty of streets i'd avoid.
Google keeps track of bikeways, bikelanes, and bike preferred streets
maps.google.com/biking
My comparisons were of safe bicycle routes, direct car routes, and the fastest public transport bus/train route combos Smile.

Have kept reading for the past 2 hours, i'm feeling the pull to start researching electric bicycles again (ie: increased speed and range, while retaining all advantages of a bicycle). Argh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:51 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I hear you there....

I'm personally scheming on home biodiesel. Carbon neutral/off the grid/self-sufficient.

roid
Inane!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:11 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

My main reason motivating me to get away from cars is that they're big and inconvenient to store/park, and they're expensive. Registration plus Insurance is at least $1000 a year, and then there's maintenance and fuel costs.
There's gotta be more elegant options, both space wise & budget wise.

Given those ongoing costs, i can see how it's completely justifiable to spend a buttload of cash on a really good bike, even an electric bike.
Hell even a velomobile (enclosed bike), but going down that path is starting to lose the space advantages of a bike.
It'd pay for itself in rego/insurance savings alone, very quickly.

Self sufficient with biodiesel eh. But aren't you still reliant on external markets to buy your fuel?
To personally grow enough fuel crops to fuel my car would take a lot of land and machinery, it's hard to be truly self-sufficient in fuel. Sad
An electric vehicle, and solar panels and vast energy storage on your property would take less room that the crops would, and requires less ongoing workload than farming fuel crops and making biodiesel, but outlay costs are huge.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:59 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

My thoughts are: no external market. Make enough for me and mine, plus a reasonable surplus, which is bunkered against potential need. Think algae reactor. CO2 for the algae is a problem, I'm hoping to finesse my way around it. You can use forced air rather than pure CO2 - and that is better for the environment, but the key is to avoid potentially contaminating the cultures.

Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:55 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

So back on topic:

I used to mountain bike a lot before there were formal "mountain bikes". Back in the day I was trailriding on my BMX bike and my Schwinn Beach Cruiser (badass manly bike that was - I owned no less than 3). I grew up in prime mountain biking territory... Almaden Quicksilver County Park in San Jose is loaded with trails - though bikes were not encouraged or even allowed (not sure if they are even today), we spent a lot of time walking our bikes extremely up steep hills for the rewards to be found on the other side, not to mention the riding out which was often thrilling to a degree many might consider utterly reckless.

I miss that in Florida.

Flip
Ace

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:08 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ag6LoqcVsM

Or this.
View previous topic :: View next topic