Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > DBB Distributed Computing > Points per day with SMP & 2 GPUs Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foil
2*pi*r

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:19 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Just started folding again after rebuilding my rig (Core2Quad Q6600 OC'd to 3GHz, ATI 4870x2).

I'm using the F@H Beta v7.148, which works beautifully. It started an SMP client which uses all four cores, and two GPU clients, all of which seem to run fine.

The problem is, my points from the GPU clients are less than half what I recall getting the last time I was actively folding. I'm guessing there's some interference slowing the GPU clients, since they use the CPU frequently, and SMP is keeping all four cores busy... but I'm not sure.

Gren, as I recall, you are folding using SMP on a Q6600 along with a GPU client, right? Are you restricting the number of cores the SMP uses, to keep one open for the GPU client to use?

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:48 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Foil wrote:
Gren, as I recall, you are folding using SMP on a Q6600 along with a GPU client, right? Are you restricting the number of cores the SMP uses, to keep one open for the GPU client to use?

Yes and No. The difference I see here is that I run a single GPU from Nvidia. That client requires very little CPU time, no need to restrict the SMP client. I have no idea how well the ATI clients play, sorry.

2*pi*r

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:55 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Okay, I'll just do a bit of testing on my own. Thanks, Gren.

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:01 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Here's some info.

2*pi*r

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:22 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Well, despite a day lost from a power outage, rough results are in for my rig. Turns out the gain on the GPUs by setting the SMP to 2 cores instead of 4 doesn't offset the loss.

At least I'm folding again. Cool

2*pi*r

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:33 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Wow...

...when the bonus work units and bonus points kicked in (requires at least 10 SMP units while using a user key + 80% success rate), my PPD jumped!