Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Descent Multiplayer > help Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Money!
Ace

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:27 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I'm running descent on windows 7. When I start it up I get loading screen with the red sun for a quick second and then goes black; all I have is a descent-mouse icon to move around on a black screen. Cntrl-alt-delete to the task manager and end task gets me out. This is the error message:

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------
MAIN.EXE 0056fa7c()
kernel32.dll 75e0339a()
ntdll.dll 77979ed2()
ntdll.dll 77979ea5()
------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone recognize this?

damn you.
Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:42 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

You using openGL or Direct3D? Are you forcing your monitor's native resolution in the launcher or going with default? Try playing with those. My monitor didn't like Descent 3 until I added -width -height & -aspect

Your mileage may vary.

Money!
Ace

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:58 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Thanks for the response Bunyip.

When I use Direct3D the game freezes at the home screen in the manner described above.
When I use OpenGL the game makes it through the home screen and selecting a pilot, but freezes when I try to join a game.

I apologize, but I'm pretty computer illiterate. How do I add "-width -height -aspect" ? I think my monitor does try to adjust resolution to the game but apparently something is going wrong.

damn you.
Flip
Ace

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:53 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Update your video drivers.
Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:41 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Wink

Flip: LOL that almost goes without saying. Which is why I didn't say it. But I should have.

Money: OK. That may or may not be the problem, but at least get your resolutions and aspect ratio correct first.

The command line parameters are covered in the read me. You add them in the setup application accessed from the launcher. They are entered on the misc tab. If you're not sure where that is, perhaps this will help: http://www.dateiliste.com/en/descent-3/67-getting-started-with-descent-3/524-descent-3-command-line-options.html (It was the first hit in a google image search for "descent 3 command line")

Forgot to ask:
What are your system specs? (Desktop/Laptop? Processor, RAM, Vid Card etc) and if you're using integrated video you need a video card. Now. even a crappy video card is better than most integrated video solutions. If your system has the slots for it anyway.

Good luck.

Flip
Ace

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:56 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

LOL, believe me I've learned it's a definite time saver.
Money!
Ace

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:41 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Hey guys sorry for the late response, finals week and break hit hard so I haven't been spending much time on the computer. I really appreciate the help though!

Specs are:
Toshiba Satellite C655
Windows 7 Home Premium
Intel(R) Pentium(R) P6200 @ 2.13ghz
4GB Ram
64 bit <-- problem??
Intel (R) HD Graphics - shit card (although I had one of these on my last laptop n it worked fine).

Tried the commandline prompts (thanks for the website) to no avail.

Also, I tried to download the video drivers from the intel website and they didn't work. I get an error message that says "The driver being installed is not validated for this computer. Please obtain the appropriate driver from the computer manufacturer. Setup will exit."

Shouldn't this be the right one? In the readme it says it supports Pentium P6000 series.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=20391&ProdId=3231&lang=eng

damn you.
Money!
Ace

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:25 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Update: went to Toshiba's website, downloaded a driver update, and still no success :/

damn you.
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:52 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Maybe this helps ?

Ace

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:10 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Thanks Gren. That does help. Also a fresh reinstall did the trick. Thanks for the help everyone!

Edit: and sorry for wasting everyones time after not trying that.. Sad

damn you.
Money!
Ace

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:06 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

OK so more trouble.. I can't seem to patch the game. I downloaded the no CD 1.4 patch from descent3.com, executed it to the right directory, it said it worked, but when I run Descent it still says version 1.0 in the bottom right corner, and I can't run the game from vortex.

I also tried the patch listed in this topic
http://www.descentbb.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4953
And the no CD patch listed about halfway down, which also didn't work.

Any ideas? Sorry I'm not better at this.

damn you.
Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:10 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Which version of D3 do you have? It may matter. There are several. Some have issues which need a fix and/or are localized for different countries.

Next, did you use the correct patch? More here: http://descent3.com/faq.php

Also, if you didn't let d3 install to the default directory, I suggest you reinstall to the default directory.

Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:32 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

The No CD Patch is supposed to work for any D3 version (altho I never used it under W7 -- copied my XP installation...) And yes, definately -- C:\Games\Descent3 is the place you want to install D3 to.

DBB Staff

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:54 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Grendel wrote:
The No CD Patch is supposed to work for any D3 version

Good to know. Does that apply to even the dual jewel? Or do you need to run the fix first? That's what I was (mostly) getting at but didn't want to go into too much detail yet.

Flip
Ace

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:51 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I'm pretty sure the patch will NOT run in Win 7. Gonna have to patch on a XP computer or VM.
Norcimo
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:49 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Bunyip wrote:
Grendel wrote:
The No CD Patch is supposed to work for any D3 version

Good to know. Does that apply to even the dual jewel? Or do you need to run the fix first? That's what I was (mostly) getting at but didn't want to go into too much detail yet.

I bought a dual jewel physical copy (cheaper than the virtual one at the time)- patching went great.
Money!
Ace

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:30 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Yea I'm using a $9.99 jewel copy (at least I think it is - has d3 and merc in one little package - is that what a jewel is? I never really knew) that my friend found in 7-11 and bought me because he knew I liked the game.

D3 is installed to the default directory.

And Gren - I tried patches from 3 different sources and none of them would install (including the one on your page Bun). But yours worked. So thanks a bunch - just had my first successful d3 session in a long time.

damn you.
Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:45 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Sweet. Now get in the mines. I'll join ya. You may even be able to beat me after all this time >Smile

Money!
Ace

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:15 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

There's nothing I would love more than to jump back in with you Bun. However, I'm still adjusting to mouse config - so I'll be a whipping boy for a good long while.

damn you.
Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:29 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Yeah? Join the club. That excuse won't fly.

Money!
Ace

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:36 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Alright. As long as you're serious about coming back Smile

damn you.
View previous topic :: View next topic