Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Descent Support > New idea- need some help Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Norcimo
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:24 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Well, I have thought about making a multiplayer level in which there is a control room in which you have some screens that shows you some parts of the level in LIVE ACTION- so you can even see there just what happens in the other side of the level what happens there. I think that it's also a good concept for a level.

So the first thing I need to know is if it even possible to make?

Thanks in advance.
Norcimo
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:40 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

um...
someone?
d3jake
Ace

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:41 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I would doubt that this is possible. In the Retribution set, this is faked with a texture that cycles pictures. Other than that, I don't know of a way to put a camera view onto a face. If there is any way to do it, look into the d3-sdk: http://descent3.com/downloads.php#software_dev_kit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:33 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Did you try blocked portals? IIRC, the areas need not be geometrically contiguous to connect with portals. Glass on one side, opaque on the other. Viola one-way mirror effect. Sounds will still travel both ways, I think.

Norcimo
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:06 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I'm talking about some sort of a texture which is working like a screen which shows you what happens AT THE SAME MOMENT at other rooms, which may won't be close to that room... Is it possible to script something like that?
Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:52 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Norcimo wrote:
I'm talking about some sort of a texture which is working like a screen which shows you what happens AT THE SAME MOMENT at other rooms, which may won't be close to that room... Is it possible to script something like that?

Not that I know of, which is not to say that it's impossible - the deployable cams in game fulfill that function after all, but what I suggested should do nearly the same thing, functionally.

Bunyip wrote:
Did you try blocked portals? IIRC, the areas need not be geometrically contiguous to connect with portals. Glass on one side, opaque on the other. Viola one-way mirror effect. Sounds will still travel both ways, I think.

Have you been working with D3 edit? If not, I'd suggest you become familiar with it. Portals are the mechanism by which different parts of the level are connected together. Rooms, if you will, although the geometry of the areas can be more complex than that.

Taking that into account, what you originally asked for was a way to view distant parts of the level...
Norcimo wrote:
in LIVE ACTION- so you can even see there just what happens in the other side of the level what happens there.

Utilizing "1-way" mirror portals, connecting rooms which are not geometrically contiguous, should work fine. Just be sure you have a transparent texture on the 'viewing' side of your portal face, and an opaque texture on the side to be viewed. Similar to the way "spawn rooms" in Waltz, or VV, etc., with some changes.

Norcimo
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:05 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Well, I have some experience with D3 edit (useing ver 1.1), and I can do basic stuff like lathing and bending and such... and I know what a portal is, though I didn't knew that you can create a portal in a
I prefer useing a texture geometrically contiguous... thanks.

I think that such texture will be much better... anyway, thanks.
Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:27 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Given the obvious language difficulty I'm not sure you understand what I was suggesting. Suffice it to say that I believe you can easily, and without scripting, create a one-way viewing window between areas of the level which are distant from each other to view what is happening in real time, as you asked.

If that's not what you want...well then, good luck to you and I'm glad you prefer a texture geometrically contiguous, I'm sure such texture and everywhere like such as will be much better.

Norcimo
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:06 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I understood what you wanted to say at the first time...
I just don't think that it'll look good. I even belive that it will look pretty bad. Not like a screen, at least.

You know someone who is good at scripting who can help me to develope it?
Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:15 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I think some of the German guys are still actively developing levels for descent3, maybe check on their IRC chat many of them speak good English as well.

View previous topic :: View next topic