Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Descent Multiplayer > 4 teams Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Norcimo
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:57 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Well, descent 3 is a great game, which doe to limited fans and players today can't reach it's full potential. one of the things I've thought about is those 3 and 4 teams games- someone ever played them at the glorious days of the game?

maybe there's a way that some game like that will be played in our times? (and not only once in a year at a big clan's tournament...)

maybe we can participate one?

BTW, I think we most have a monsterball server.
Foil
2*pi*r

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:40 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Forwarded to the DRH ops.

Note: Quadcyon (4-team Halcyon) gets played every once in a long while. The problem is player numbers; when I was running servers, I had it hosted for about 3 months, and it only got played once in that time.

Trainee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:02 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Quadcyon is up and running 4 team CTF. We'll see if it gets played.

Also have Circuit Breaker Reloaded running Monsterball.

Enjoy,

Your friendly Descent Retirement Home Server Ops
Norcimo
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:11 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Thank you.

I don't know if I've asked for too many thing, but my last request for now is to replace Circuit braker 1.2 with the original "mayhem" pack (which includes the original circuit braker too...)

Thank you.have a nice day.
Foil
2*pi*r

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:23 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Norcimo,

I'd suggest trying to get players into the servers you've already requested, before requesting more.

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:12 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

3-4 team CTF games are totally different from 2 team games. I've been in a few organized 4 team CTF games back when the D3TL was active and my teams have pretty much always placed first in them. We won mostly because we approached 4 team games differently from how most teams approached CTF games.

First, forget everything you know about CTF.
Phoenixes suck at offense, but are surprisingly effective at defense.
Magnums in general are better utilized on offense, defensively they can't quite keep up.
The Pyro and the BP can work in multiple roles, but usually just perform mediocre at every role or they are best utilized at harassing everyone around the middle of the map.

I was often the leading flag capper in 4 team games, not because I could fly faster than everyone else, not because I could slip into an enemy base faster than everyone else. I led the pack because I was the most backstabbing jerk-ass rat bastard in the game and because my team exploited that to the best of their ability. I hardly ever flew all the way into an enemy's base and picked up their flag myself, I most often would just linger around the middle ground and monitor where the action was and then steal flags from passing carriers. My best advice for a 4 team game is to never assault a teams defensive players yourself if you can just wait a moment for some third teams phoenix dork to do it for you. Then on their way out you can kill them and everyone from the other teams defense that was chasing them while they are all worn down and pickup the flag already a leg ahead on getting back to your own base with it.

By a few minutes into the game you should know the relative strength of each teams defense and offense, plan your movements based on this information. Monitor traffic in the hub and always look for the weak points, if blue has a strong offense, attack the blue base while they are on a run and with any luck you can nab their weakened carrier for a useful flag on your way out. Anytime you see a team charging another base, its usually a good time to raid theirs.

The phoenixes on your own team should harass and generally be a nuisance to every enemy carrier they see in the middle ground. You want to be nearly invisible while a third team is attacking some other base, then you want to be like flies on shit on them when they come out with a flag. On defense you should lurk around the middle while keeping an eye towards your own base and picking off anyone that tries to get your flag out on both ways of the journey, the rest is covering your own carrier when they are nearby. The only time your team should really converge on your own base is when someone on your team has all 3 flags and your own flag is at or near home and even then at least a couple players should hang further out and disrupt the swarm that is undoubtedly heading your way. The team that proves the most annoying in the middle ground is often the one that wins the game in a 4 team CTF match, having players dedicated to camping in your own flag room for defense is often a waste of resources.

When you are holding 1 flag, only cap if you have to (low shields, nobody to pass to, out of ammo). If you have the shields and weapons, look for enemy carriers or potential carriers heading in to attack a base and try to pick them off on their way back. It is generally ok to cap with 2 flags if getting all 3 looks too dangerous or difficult, but its worth holding out a few moments if you have the shields and weapons to do so and the odds are in your teams favor (like someone else on your team has the remaining flag). Just don't go after the third one yourself unless the opportunity is too good to pass up, lean towards your base and assist the defense while watching for the third flag. Try to keep a buddy around, preferably someone on your team, but in a tight spot you can use someone from pretty much any other team as a meat shield. If you have all 3 flags, its time to go home and cap for 9 points. If your team is spread out like they generally should be, you will probably pass some of them on your way there. Your team should be making life hell for anyone trying to reach you by stirring up trouble at the hub so at most you should have to deal with 1 or 2 players on your way. The main point is don't die and work with your team mates who will more than likely do everything in their power to keep you in the clear and alive. If there is a momentary break and you are low on shields, pass the flags to someone else who can last longer, other weakened players on your team might suicide to boost your shields if it comes down to it.

If you are playing as defense, your main role is to hunt people who have or are after YOUR flag, and to provide a meat shield for your own carrier when necessary. Odds are on a successful team your carrier is an accomplished anarchy player, use your ship to create opportunities for your carrier, ram enemy players, generally obstruct their flow and and your carrier should survive longer. Anything you can do that lets your carrier take down enemies easily is a plus, even if you get killed in the process (added bonus: your carrier gets double shields).

That's about the gist of a 4 player CTF. Just be the mean and annoying team, and you will probably win.

Fakeedit: Holy shit :words:.

(19:11) [D3k]Gooberman: pffft, I didnt get owned baal, you just got 60 lucky fusion shots
Norcimo
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:40 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

It's indid a long reply Laughing
I've wrote that topic because a 4 teams CTF sounds to me like the most Psychedelic thing in descent 3, so I wanted to now how it is...
thanks for that (long) reply, it's almost a full 4TCTF guide.
View previous topic :: View next topic