Descent BB

 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

   Descent BB Forum Index > Ethics and Commentary > How f'd up do you have to be to do this? Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Jess
Hotshot




PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:27 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42603538/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

I couldn't image losing my kids but having to see pictures of their murder is incomprehensible.

They'll never find a sympathic jury and the guy will end up with a needle in his arm.
Bunyip
DBB Staff




PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:19 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

and good riddance. Scum.

And no insanity is not a defense. We put down killer dogs too.

bye bye fucker.

_________________
BELIEVE NOTHING, no matter where you read it, or who has said it,
not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason
and your own common sense. - GAUTAMA BUDDHA
Foil
2*pi*r




PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:31 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Holy f***, that's screwed up.

I have a two-year-old at home, and that makes me feel like I'd like to see this happen to him, assuming he gets the death sentence. [...and I'm generally opposed to capital punishment.]

_________________
"You seem a decent fellow. I hate to kill you."
"You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die."
Perediablo
Ace




PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:37 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I am now sick. Kill him slowly. OMG. I actually may throw up. To think that there is even the slightest possibility that this guy could go free makes me sick. Please oh please do not fuck this one up justice system. Kill him and then kill his remains, and then feed it to some shark, and then kill the shark.

Goodbye fucker!

_________________
"To design is to communicate clearly by whatever means you can control or master." _Milton Glaser
Krom
DBB Admin




PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:45 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Give him the injection, then cremate his remains and bury them in a toxic waste dump.

_________________
(19:11) [D3k]Gooberman: pffft, I didnt get owned baal, you just got 60 lucky fusion shots
Avder
Hotshot




PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:34 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Times like this I kind of wish Hanging was an acceptable way to kill someone. Considering it was common place for centuries as a way to execute someone, I dont see anything cruel or unusual about it. In cases where capital punishment is an option, the objective should be to punish. Dont go out of your way to make it cruel, but dont bother trying to make it "humane" either. If they did something to warrant killing them, they dont warrant a humane treatment either.

And I'm pretty much opposed to capital punishment as well, as its my opinion that the possibility of error in most cases is too much to justify killing someone, but this one, just in reading a few paragraphs, seems pretty fucking air tight.

String him up on a tree on the courthouse grounds.
Spidey
Hotshot




PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:12 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Humanity is what separates us from them. It’s not about “what they deserve” It’s about how "we" behave in the face of such things.

The only time I could not show mercy, would be in the heat of the event.

_________________
Better to be pissed off, than to be pissed on.
Foil
2*pi*r




PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:21 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

<takes deep breath> Agreed.

Even though it's not what I would actually do, I still feel like I said above.

_________________
"You seem a decent fellow. I hate to kill you."
"You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die."
Jess
Hotshot




PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:12 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Spidey wrote:
Humanity is what separates us from them. It’s not about “what they deserve” It’s about how "we" behave in the face of such things.

The only time I could not show mercy, would be in the heat of the event.


I disagree. What do you do with people like this other than lock them up for life? If they would do this to their own children they can't ever be trusted in society again.

So, do them and society a favor and get rid of them. Sometimes people do heinous things and should forfeit their lives in return. This isn't exactly a he said/she said situation.

But! That's why I'm fairly happy I live in a state with such laws on its books. It's not perfect but in my view it's better than the alternative.
Bunyip
DBB Staff




PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:22 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Spidey wrote:
Humanity is what separates us from them. It’s not about “what they deserve” It’s about how "we" behave in the face of such things.

The only time I could not show mercy, would be in the heat of the event.


I'm leery of the death penalty myself. It's rather final... "Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them...?" In this case, of self-confessed child murder I'm prepared to make an exception.

For the record, from what I gather, this guy is reported to have hung his children from improvised fabric nooses, causing their death by strangulation. I wonder if he watched them writhe in agony, gasping for air as they expired? While I agree that Humanity separates "us" from "them", the State is neither "us" or "them" - it is an entity created to, among other things, protect "us" from "them".

Regardless, the least this FUCK could have had the decency to put himself out of our misery. A despicable child murderer (allegedly) and gutless craven who is no doubt snickering at the grief of the family. She left him to get out of an abusive relationship. He kidnapped the kids and held them over her head and when she went to court to get custody he sure showed her who is boss.

_________________
BELIEVE NOTHING, no matter where you read it, or who has said it,
not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason
and your own common sense. - GAUTAMA BUDDHA
Woodchip
Ace




PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:06 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I'm pretty good at skinning wild game I've shot. Might be interesting to try it on something alive.
Spidey
Hotshot




PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:01 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I say we give the perp a big sharp knife, and woody a big sharp knife…and lock them up together in a small room.

_________________
Better to be pissed off, than to be pissed on.
Avder
Hotshot




PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:25 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Bunyip wrote:


I'm leery of the death penalty myself. It's rather final... "Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them...?" In this case, of self-confessed child murder I'm prepared to make an exception.


Exactly.

In most cases where capital punishment is applied, it shouldnt be, because "beyond any reasonable doubt" isnt enough to kill someone. It should be "beyond any and ALL doubt" for capital punishment, which, in my opinion, this likely is.

Capital Punishment should be reserved for those special sick fuckers that actually did something gross, vile, and disgusting, and evidence has been introduced against them that confirms without any doubt at all, that they actually performed the acts in question. If there is any doubt, reasonable or not, it should be life imprisionment instead.

Heres a litmus test that all jurors should be given in cases of capital punishment: If the accused is condemned, and dies, because of the verdict you give him, and the accuses is later shown to be not guilty, are you prepared to answer to the crime of murder for your killing of an innocent man?

If the jurors had the possibility of a life sentence for murder if they have someone executed who is in the end revealed to be innocent, you can bet your sweet ass that those juries would return life in all but the most vile, revolting, and obvious of cases.
Flip
Ace




PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:12 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Quote:
In most cases where capital punishment is applied, it shouldnt be, because "beyond any reasonable doubt" isnt enough to kill someone. It should be "beyond any and ALL doubt" for capital punishment, which, in my opinion, this likely is.

Capital Punishment should be reserved for those special sick fuckers that actually did something gross, vile, and disgusting, and evidence has been introduced against them that confirms without any doubt at all, that they actually performed the acts in question. If there is any doubt, reasonable or not, it should be life imprisionment instead.


Agree with you almost totally, except I feel if there's any doubt at all, they should be released until something definite presents itself.
Avder
Hotshot




PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:42 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Flip wrote:
Quote:
In most cases where capital punishment is applied, it shouldnt be, because "beyond any reasonable doubt" isnt enough to kill someone. It should be "beyond any and ALL doubt" for capital punishment, which, in my opinion, this likely is.

Capital Punishment should be reserved for those special sick fuckers that actually did something gross, vile, and disgusting, and evidence has been introduced against them that confirms without any doubt at all, that they actually performed the acts in question. If there is any doubt, reasonable or not, it should be life imprisionment instead.


Agree with you almost totally, except I feel if there's any doubt at all, they should be released until something definite presents itself.


If you imprison an innocent man, he gets locked up until evidence is found that exonerates him. If he's in a half decent state that has provisions for the exonerated to get compensated for that time...well its not ideal, but it does provide a measure of starting to make the guy whole.

The reason a lot of people go to prison in the first place is because juries dont take thier jobs that seriously. "Reasonable doubt" isnt something a lot of people actually have a grasp of. So you get a lazy jury thats tuned out of the case after the prosecution makes a few half assed arguments and by the time they get to the deliberations, a lot of them just want to go home.

Another beef I have with juries is that they are not really juries of peers, but random people selected out of a ballot box. If we followed the letter of the constitution, the prosecution on any criminal case would have to convince the accused's co-workers, families, and friends that he actually did what the prosecution said he did. Conviction rates would fall through the floor in most cases, but the really really serious shit would still end up with a guilty verdict most of the time. Would this be better than the current situation? No idea, but somehow I dont think modern juries are what the founding fathers had in mind, so maybe its somewhere in between.

Then of course theres the issue of jury nullification, which is another debate entirely....
Flip
Ace




PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:32 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Quote:
If you imprison an innocent man, he gets locked up until evidence is found that exonerates him


See this goes so against common sense and American Ideals. I feel that our legal system was setup that it had rather let the guilty go than ever imprison the innocent. This is far more acceptable to me, but I think a big problem is like what Jesus pointed out when he asked who would throw the first stone. Half those people had probably laid on that gals belly too, if it was anything like my old hometown, but fear of man and the inability to admit their own faults makes killers out of the crowd.
Avder
Hotshot




PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:51 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Flip wrote:
Quote:
If you imprison an innocent man, he gets locked up until evidence is found that exonerates him


See this goes so against common sense and American Ideals. I feel that our legal system was setup that it had rather let the guilty go than ever imprison the innocent. This is far more acceptable to me, but I think a big problem is like what Jesus pointed out when he asked who would throw the first stone. Half those people had probably laid on that gals belly too, if it was anything like my old hometown, but fear of man and the inability to admit their own faults makes killers out of the crowd.


Of course it is better to let the guilty go free than risk imprisioning an innocent man, but thats what happens in life. People arent perfect, and the system is even less so.

So what happens to a guy who just happens to be in the alley taking a piss where two people get shot, one of them dead, and the other ends up in a coma? Lets say hes got a gun and he takes it out and takes a shot at the real gunmen and misses, and they get away. So now youve got a guy with a gun, gunpowder on his hands and clothing, with a gun in his hand, with shells on the ground, and because its a common kind of gun, its bullets are similar to the ones fired by the actual criminals. The cops get there and its an open and shut case. They arrest the guy, give the area a good once or twice over, but they dont break out the fine tooth combs so they dont find the real criminals shell casings. They tell their forensics guys to "make it fit" rather than asking "does this fit" and with one dead girl and one in a coma, they get an easy conviction. What happens to the guy? He sits in prision until the coma victim wakes up and says "this guy didnt shoot us, he shot at them!".

Crap like this actually happens. The wrong guy gets fingered, and because of a sloppy police investigation and a lazy, unquestioning jury, he gets locked away and might even get the chair. Sometimes even a good investigation can lead to the wrong guy getting put away. There are so many factors involved that I dont think the system can ever be what we want it to.
Bunyip
DBB Staff




PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:31 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Seriously, it's important that you never underestimate the power of Human stupidity (or laziness for that matter). You must take that into account when designing systems.

_________________
BELIEVE NOTHING, no matter where you read it, or who has said it,
not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason
and your own common sense. - GAUTAMA BUDDHA
Neo
[deleted]




PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:11 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

A spleen for a spleen makes the whole whirled... um... lack whatever a spleen does.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic
Jump to:  
   Descent BB Forum Index > Ethics and Commentary > How f'd up do you have to be to do this?

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Image hosting by postimage.org Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group