Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Ethics and Commentary > Shifty Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Woodchip
Ace

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:40 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Seems Japans earthquake did more than shake building and create new swimming pools:

(CNN) -- The powerful earthquake that unleashed a devastating tsunami Friday appears to have moved the main island of Japan by 8 feet (2.4 meters) and shifted the Earth on its axis."

"Reports from the National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology in Italy estimated the 8.9-magnitude quake shifted the planet on its axis by nearly 4 inches (10 centimeters)."

Kinda makes everything man is capable of seem insignificant.
Avder
Hotshot

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:26 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Did it do anything to the earths speed of rotation? I think I read that one of the larger quakes a few years ago affected the length of the earths day by a few millionths of a second.
Krom
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:05 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

http://www.theworldreporter.com/2011/03/earthquake-shifts-japan-islands-and.html

(19:11) [D3k]Gooberman: pffft, I didnt get owned baal, you just got 60 lucky fusion shots
dissent
Hotshot

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:42 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Krom wrote:
http://www.theworldreporter.com/2011/03/earthquake-shifts-japan-islands-and.html

interesting info ... but somebody needs to edit that guy's writing.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:18 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Seems like a Saloon topic to me.

Quote:
Shifting of plates or land masses is not a new thing. Today what we see different continents in the world map is actually a result of tectonic plates movement due to earthquakes and volcanic eruptions, there was a single continent earlier, all the present continents and land masses were together millions of years ago.

I do feel sad for the people in Japan tho, that's a lot to take in -- 9.0 quake, tsunami, nuke plants melting down. Sad

Hotshot

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:18 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Avder wrote:
Did it do anything to the earths speed of rotation? I think I read that one of the larger quakes a few years ago affected the length of the earths day by a few millionths of a second.

I think that was the Chilean quake.
View previous topic :: View next topic