Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Ethics and Commentary > Swear words Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Avder
Hotshot

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:54 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Is it okay to use them? Discuss!

Also, AHOY Woodchip, I think yer a conservative bastard but I'm standing proud with you in a boycott of .net over the issues of having a nanny moderator.
Zuruck
Ace

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:08 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Uhhh...yeah you can use them if you want. Or don't. No one really gives a shit I guess. Except for ferno, he'll ask you why you "want" to use them or something.
LotharBot
Hotshot

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:47 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

It depends on where you are.

If you're in a privately-owned space, follow the wishes of its owners -- even if they're dumb. If you're at my grandma's house, or on .net, or on the Descent Retirement Home servers, there's currently [1] a "no swearing" policy, so watch your fucking language.

If you're at your own house, or .com, or some other place with a "swearing OK" policy, knock yourself out. Use it as you see fit -- in order to be expressive, or as a social signalling mechanism, or whatever.

[1] With the advent of the new "you can turn the swear filter on or off at your own convenience" feature, the administrative team will be discussing this again. Personally, all I care is that you don't act like a huge douche.
Pun
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:30 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I think curse words lose their impact when overused. Use them in moderation to preserve their potency, like antibiotics. Dig?
LotharBot
Hotshot

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:09 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Pun wrote:
I think curse words lose their impact when overused

My freshman year of high school, in one of those stupid classes ("study skills" I think it was called), one day we had a guest speaker come in. She asked the class to list off all the swear words we knew. Everyone stared at her like she was nuts, then someone called out "fuck". So she wrote it on the board in big letters, as everyone giggled and turned red. Pretty soon, the board was covered with FUCK SHIT CUNT ASS BASTARD BITCH PUNANI and so on. The giggling finally stopped about 30 words in. I noticed, for the rest of the year, people didn't swear as much. People finally realized that the thing they were doing to try to look "cool" was actually kind of stupid.

High schoolers, and some of the lamer adults, use swearing as a sort of signalling mechanism. It's a way to mark yourself as part of a particular crowd, and to let others know that you're "laid back" or whatever. What it signals to everyone else is "I'm a huge dork, only instead of being into D&D or Star Wars, I'm into four letter words." It's people like that who really waste the potential of swearing. When every wannabe gangsta out there is going to fuck your ass up, bitch, the words are rendered impotent. It's kind of like how every political pundit thinks everyone on the other side is a Nazi -- if the only thing the word means is "person or thing I disapprove of but cannot describe why", it quickly loses its power.

But used sparingly and judiciously, the words can be very powerful tools of communication. When your grandma who never swears calls someone a bitch, you immediately recognize how serious it is and form a strong opinion of that person. When a prophecy in the Bible says "I will smear shit on your faces" (in Malachi 2), you immediately understand the strength of disapproval and anger behind the statement. When Randall Monroe states the sentiment in xkcd #137, the message comes through far more effectively than if he'd said it "clean" -- but it wouldn't have if he dropped F-bombs and S-bombs over trivial things.
Foil
2*pi*r

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:37 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Agreed 100% with Lothar on this.

Use them judiciously where/when it's called for / allowed.

Otherwise, shut the **** up.

Wink

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:06 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Oh my god Pineapple!

(19:11) [D3k]Gooberman: pffft, I didnt get owned baal, you just got 60 lucky fusion shots
TechPro
Hotshot

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:54 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

All people should be allowed to use swear words whenever and wherever they want. People should also be will to receive the consequences that will come their way when what they say (or do) is offensive to others. Using swear words without consideration towards others who may be offended by it at that time and/or place is wrong.

You have the right to use swear words, and you have the right to offend others. You also have the right to receive the consequences for doing so.

Using swear words indicate three things:

1. Lack of personal desire to manage/discipline/consider the content of your speech.

2. Lack of respect for other people (whoever/whatever they may be)

3. Desire to bring un-earned attention to yourself (which is the most common reason anyone uses swear words).

If you disagree, that is your choice.
Ferno
BDSM Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:46 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Zuruck wrote:
Uhhh...yeah you can use them if you want. Or don't. No one really gives a shit I guess. Except for ferno, he'll ask you why you "want" to use them or something.

more like: 'why do you care so damn much?' Wink
Bee
Miss Priss

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:14 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Avder I don't know how old you are but I would guess somewhere in the early teens or maybe younger so I will speak so you can understand. I spanked you because you were naughty but I didn't expect you to cry, gather up your toys and run away. In any event, when daddy came home and found out what I did he went postal enough that the neighbors could hear and took away some of my privileges. since I was already upset that your other brothers left, I kicked him in the leg and told him I wasn't watching you anymore.

Now I'll speak more adult which will be a little harder for you to understand. I am no longer moderating the E&C or any other part of the forum. You should also take comfort in knowing that I was also punished so now you should be able to stop using that as an excuse for not visiting. I am also going to put you and Woodchip permanently on my ignore list and if you and he do the same we will never see each other again and we can all have fun there.

So, again it no longer matters who was right or wrong. You and Woodchip have no reason not to visit.

I haven't peeked into .net yet because I have a class and I don't want to deal with anything right now but FYI my only regret before resigning is that I didn't punch you in the face harder when I had the chance.

Bee
Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:55 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

While I disagree with your actions as portrayed, I also think that you acted in good faith.

Not to put too fine a point on it: Bee I think you gave up too easily. It's your decision to make but not one I can understand or agree with.

It's like you let them win.

<sad face>

Personally, I feel you to be a bit naive and idealistic, and I sometimes quietly disagree with things you say, but I have always respected the way you stand up for yourself and what you believe in. This is the first time I've seen you fail to do so.

I hope this is not a harbinger of times to come for you.

Avder
Hotshot

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:59 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Bee wrote:

I haven't peeked into .net yet because I have a class and I don't want to deal with anything right now but FYI my only regret before resigning is that I didn't punch you in the face harder when I had the chance.

I raised hell because I felt you did something completely out of line. I was ticked at you when you cried to a mod about me evading the swear filter and offending your impressionable little eyes, but I decided not to raise a stink about it.

I didnt like it one bit when you were promoted to moderator. You basically posted a Sherman Statement indicating that you would never use your mod powers for what mod powers are supposed to be for, but woe be to the person who dares evade the almighty swear filter. I didnt like it, but I figured it would be tolerable.

Then when the new board went live and the option to turn the swear filter off was there I fiured it would be a moot point, so I pretty much siad I'm done evading the filter. because it wouldnt be needed. If someone wanted to read the true content of my post, they were merely an option setting away from seeing my nasty, adult language. If they didnt, they could leave it on and see those censoring asterisks there instead.

So when I posted a comment in a later thread with the word fuck in it, completely unmodified so the swear filter would pick it up and censor it, I didnt think anything of it.

Then you went and modified it, because it offended your precious sensibilities. If you had your swear filter on, it should not have shown up, and if it had, it would have been better to bring that to the attention of that boards staff so they could get it set up the way they wanted. I have no issue at all with an optional swear filter. I feel that that is most likely the best way to satisfy both the people who want to use bad language and the people who want the forum to be free of it, as it allows each person to choose for themselves. But when you modified my post you crossed a line.

You are no moderator, bee, you are a censor.

Now you talk down to me as if I am a child. I have no doubt that I am older than you are by at least a few years. Did I cry when you slapped me? No. I slapped back the only way that seemed appropriate. One last comment, and then dead silence. You wont have to worry about my naughty language on the .net e&c ever again. Koolbear slapped you down for modding my post? Well, good for him, he goes up a few rungs worth of respect in my book.

You wanted to punch me harder? And in the face? You sound a little bitter about the whole thing. Could it be you are not as mature as you think you are and you are merely human like the rest of us?

You did something wrong. You got called on it. First by me, and then by Koolbear. Deal with it, because you could have handled everything differently, tho judging by your "punch in the face" comment, I suspect you wanted to handle it in an even worse manner than you did.
Zuruck
Ace

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:24 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Ugh, one of the nice things about .com was that it avoided the dumb posts about useless shit. It's funny that when there is a .net problem, the shit comes onto this board. While the spike in activity here is nice to see, it sucks that it's the same shit they have on a daily basis over there.
d3jake
Ace

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:43 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Whelp, looks like this thread has gone from "poll the community" to a slap fight between two members. Seems to me, this is what Private messages are for. Admittedly, this is the sort of thing that gives a boon to the popcorn industry.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:19 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Bunyip wrote:
While I disagree with your actions as portrayed, I also think that you acted in good faith.

Not to put too fine a point on it: Bee I think you gave up too easily. It's your decision to make but not one I can understand or agree with.

<sad face>

Personally, I feel you to be a bit naive and idealistic, and I sometimes quietly disagree with things you say, but I have always respected the way you stand up for yourself and what you believe in. This is the first time I've seen you fail to do so.

I hope this is not a harbinger of times to come for you.

Nope. Kilarin had me pegged the first year I showed up at .net. He said that I sounded like a person who struggles to be good. He's absolutely right but I've been on the winning end for years and I won't change my principles for anything or anyone. I appreciate the kind words and I still intend to fight for what I believe in.

I don't know if you recall or not but I went to the servers board a few years ago and fought tooth and nail to get Badboy reinstated. I showed them text how some members called him the Nword during games and that's why he sounded disgusting at times. It was his way of fighting back and I fought to correct an injustice. That's another story but I feel the same way now. People left .net because of me and some who stayed are noticeably upset.

I will do whatever it takes to put it back the way it was and that's why I resigned. Right now they seem to be in denial because my name is still listed there but I want to assure everyone that left that I will no longer moderate so you can freely visit both boards. I have done my part so if they don't return it won't be because of me.

This is not a sob story and I'm done with this thread

Bettina
B-
Cocked & Locked

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:26 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Dissentbb.com is available.

BDSM Fanatic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:59 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

you happy now that you got to punch bee in the face for editing your profanity avder?
Woodchip
Ace

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:20 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Bunyip wrote:

<sad face>

The problem Bunyip, was Bee was chosen on a whim with no fore-thought as to what the board members might think nor whom they would think was a good choice. If Bee steps down and Cuda takes the reins then maybe we will even see the likes of Zuruck at least responding over there. To Bee's credit she recognized the dissension that was caused and did what was right. Sometimes it is harder to do that than stick with something because of ego.
Zuruck
Ace

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:25 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Unfortunately woodchip, you will not see me post over there. Lothar edited / deleted one too many of my posts and I was done. I like it over here, yeah there may not be a new topic for six months, but I tend to like it like this.
LotharBot
Hotshot

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:52 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Zuruck wrote:
Lothar edited / deleted one too many of my posts and I was done.

Heh. I remember it. You essentially declared that you weren't interested in contributing anything meaningful to threads, you were just there to fuck with people and troll.

Not surprisingly, you posted one too many posts that needed edited/deleted and then finally got the message that you should be done with that. I wish to say, I'm perfectly happy with your decision.
Neo
[deleted]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:34 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I think people who use swear words should have their posts ninja'd along with all the other posts that get ninja'd.

</discussion>
Fiend
Hotshot

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:02 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I figured out who Bee is yay!
\(happy Bee-day)\
Neo
[deleted]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:56 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

the element of surprise....... party ♥
Beowulf
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:00 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

its hilarious that shit aint changed even a little bit in all the years i've lurked/posted on the two boards.

people come and go - but the whiny babies remain a constant.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:23 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Beowulf wrote:
its hilarious that shit aint changed even a little bit in all the years i've lurked/posted on the two boards.

people come and go - but the whiny babies remain a constant.

Naji, you pirate hooker. I see how it is. You get a cannabis card and drop off the face of the earth. How are you, man? ...and by "how are you", I mean how is your sister? Razz
Zuruck
Ace

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:32 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

The muslim has joined a new cult; that cult being the death squad and the target being all the dumb little kids on xbox. Get them all together tonight...we're starting OSS for call of duty!!
Neo
[deleted]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:04 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

cool story, bro
Beowulf
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:56 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I don't have a sister.
But I've just been doin the same ol man - lurkin around and destroying people in Call of Duty with Zuruck.