Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Tech Forum > Point-of-sale touch screens with PC Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foil
2*pi*r

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:27 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I've been starting to look around for a touch-screen monitor to use with a PC for my 2-year-old son. Unfortunately, most are way out of my budget.

However, there are a number of cheap, used POS (point-of-sale) touch screens around (most at 1280x1024 or less, but that's fine for toddler apps). Does anyone have any experience using one of these with a PC?

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:17 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Have you seen the Dell All-in-One machines with touch? I just ordered and set one up for my mom. Really nice ma-cheen. However, $600. Not sure what your budget is.
Foil
2*pi*r

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:21 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Unfortunately, it's not anywhere near $600. Confused

I'm seeing these POS touchscreens all over, most selling for under $50, which is why I'm starting to wonder about them.

Hotshot

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:56 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Does it have to be a touch screen? Maybe a touch tablet instead.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:08 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

That would work, but again, I'm looking for something fairly cheap, which is why I'm looking at just getting a touchscreen of some kind, rather than a new machine.

I can pick up a POS touchscreen for < $50, but I'm not sure about the interface with a PC (and info online is sketchy), so I was hoping someone here would have some experience with it.

2*pi*r

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:49 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

... Anyone?

Ace

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:12 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

He's 2? Have him go play with a pet rock like we all did when we were kids...jesus.
Foil
2*pi*r

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:25 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Fuck you, Zuruck.

... Anyone else?

Insane!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:46 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

You can get an touchscreen USB mod kit on eBay for around $60 and install it in an existing LCD. Price varies with screen size. Otherwise look for an elo or planar USB used monitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:31 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Thanks, B.

Any experience with those kits? I'm starting to lean that direction.

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:01 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Hmm...was it roid who said he did one? Can't remember now. Sorry.
roid
Inane!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:30 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

nah i just thought it was cool, i don't have a touchscreen.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:31 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I have never had to set one up, but I used one at my high school restaurant job.

1. I'm 99% sure it wasn't a USB interface, but I don't seem to think it was an extra card- you said that you don't have info on the interface- I'd find out more if you want to guarantee yourself a working interface.

2. Software: I'd do a bit of research about software compatibility. I bet you can find an open-source project out there that will provide helpful info both about software capabilities out there, and hardware challenges as well. (I like open-source projects for info because they're not trying to pitch you something)

3. Resolution: My experience with the system was that it didn't have great touch-resolution. Big buttons on the screen worked well, but you couldn't approach the precision of a mouse- I think this has improved with time, so the older you buy, the less you will be able to do with them, I think.

Not a lot of first-hand info, but maybe some good ideas of what to think about.
Foil
2*pi*r

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:22 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Thanks, snoopy.

I did some more looking; most of the p-o-s touchscreens out there are USB nowadays, and with decent resolution.

But with that said, using an LCD overlay looks to be my best bet, just in terms of ease of getting it to work with the toddler apps we have.

Thanks, guys.

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:17 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Not sure that will go well -- in my experience a toddler doesn't have a sense for the delicacy of a LCD screen (even w/ an overlay.) Pos screens are tougher in terms of standing up to (mild) abuse...

2*pi*r

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:12 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

True, true...

2*pi*r

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:56 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Update:

Ended up getting an Elo 1525L touchscreen at a local used-computer-stuff shop.

It's USB/VGA, and although it took me a couple of tries to get good Win7 drivers to map the touchscreen coordinates to mouse coordinates, it works perfectly. It's a solid unit, and seems to stand up to the abuse of an excited toddler's poking without any issues.

As for my son, he loves playing on it. There are endless toddler apps and games on the web, but he enjoys messing around with MS Paint just as much.

I appreciate all the tips, guys.