Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Tech Forum > N-band router Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VonVulcan
Hotshot

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:15 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

So I bought a E2000 lynksys router and it did work better then my old netgear but I needed to get a compatible N-band adapter to take advantage of it. So I bought the AE1000 HIGH PERFORMANCE adapter and it is anything BUT high performance... Advertising says greater range with N-band... Well, maybe 1/2 the range of my internal adapter and old netgear... I went to the cisco forum and tried the various settings with no improvement. Anybody know any secret fixes? I updated the routers firmware.

edit:

I was looking at the ww-drt thread and saw my router is compatible. What is ww-drt, what does it do. I found the install directions a little intimidating. It scares me. Embarassed

Will this extend the range?

(20:12) STRESSTEST: Im actually innocent this time.
AceCombat
SpongeBob

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:54 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Vulcan your in ATL right? i know how to do DD-WRT easily.... if you could get to me or something or even get on my Clans vent i can walk you through it

vent29.gameservers.com:5364 PW: gamerz

Hotshot

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:23 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

No, Seattle....

But what does it do? Will it improve the range?
If not there's no reason to mess with it.

MD-2389
Insane!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:11 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

DD-WRT is a firmware replacement for your router, to give it features of enterprise-level routers. Honestly, what will give you the best range, is looking at what channels are in-use nearby, and pick one on the opposite spectrum. If you can't, then try and use one with at least one channel buffer. (ie: If 1 and 5 are in use, then switch to 3.)

Also keep in mind, that it's still a 2.4GHz signal. (and to a lesser extent, the 5GHz band, which is even worse than 2.4Ghz at penetration) High frequencies have a hard time penetrating solid objects. Going through a couple walls will cause your signal strength to drop like a stone, I don't care what router you use. The only thing you can do to compensate for this, is to increase the strength of then transmission. You can do this by going into the router, and playing with the transmission power, or by getting your DIY on and making a directional antenna mod. (click here) The latter solution is safer, since it won't increase the risk of burning up the transmitter. Just aim it in the general direction of where you're wanting to surf, and you're golden.

Come on Teamspeak more often. Wink
AceCombat
SpongeBob

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:18 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

VonVulcan wrote:
No, Seattle....

ohh... i think you would love DD-WRT. you dont necessarily have to boost the Signal power, but it does give you alot more options to secure and manage your network. and IF you DO have to boost it, you can control that in increments and not just set it to max power at the start

Hotshot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:27 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

MD-2389 wrote:
DD-WRT is a firmware replacement for your router, to give it features of enterprise-level routers. Honestly, what will give you the best range, is looking at what channels are in-use nearby, and pick one on the opposite spectrum. If you can't, then try and use one with at least one channel buffer. (ie: If 1 and 5 are in use, then switch to 3.)

Also keep in mind, that it's still a 2.4GHz signal. (and to a lesser extent, the 5GHz band, which is even worse than 2.4Ghz at penetration) High frequencies have a hard time penetrating solid objects. Going through a couple walls will cause your signal strength to drop like a stone, I don't care what router you use. The only thing you can do to compensate for this, is to increase the strength of then transmission. You can do this by going into the router, and playing with the transmission power, or by getting your DIY on and making a directional antenna mod. (click here) The latter solution is safer, since it won't increase the risk of burning up the transmitter. Just aim it in the general direction of where you're wanting to surf, and you're golden.

Come on Teamspeak more often. Wink

This router has no external antenna, would a parabolic mod do anything for it?

VonVulcan
Hotshot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:27 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

AceCombat wrote:
VonVulcan wrote:
No, Seattle....

ohh... i think you would love DD-WRT. you dont necessarily have to boost the Signal power, but it does give you alot more options to secure and manage your network. and IF you DO have to boost it, you can control that in increments and not just set it to max power at the start

Thanks Ace.

MD-2389
Insane!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:35 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

VonVulcan wrote:
This router has no external antenna, would a parabolic mod do anything for it?

In this case, it would only do you any good if you sat the reflector behind the router itself, and used scotch tape to hold it in whatever direction you want it to go. The only problem with this, is that this will effectively cut off a part of your household entirely, if your router is in the center of your home.

Unless you feel like drilling holes in that router, and replacing the antenna (which I don't recommend, for a number of reasons...), you're best bet is increasing the signal strength and hoping that they bothered to tune the load for the antenna for minimal SWR. That, or you could try tilting the router itself, so that it's oriented vertically. The antenna inside the unit is supposed to be omni-directional, but that's basically what you would be doing with the parabolic mod anyways.
VonVulcan
Hotshot

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:42 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I was thinking about a possible work around...

Use my old netgear as the gateway turning off wireless and down line closer to my location plug in the new n-band router using it's wireless for my notebook. About 15' away from the laptop. Then the new router will act as a switch only? That should get me my 150 mbps speed?

View previous topic :: View next topic