Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Ethics and Commentary > lets talk about sleep and wakefulness Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roid
Inane!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:26 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z-vyLHi2us#t=0m15s
(4min TED Talk) Jessa Gamble: Our natural sleep cycle
Quote:
...So what would our natural rhythm look like, what would our sleeping patterns be in the sort of ideal sense?
Well it turns out that when people are living without any sort of artificial light at all, they sleep twice every night. They goto bed around 8pm, until midnight. And then again they sleep from about 2am till sunrise. And inbetween they have a couple of hours of mediative quiet in bed, and during this time there's a surge of Prolactin the likes of which a modern-day never sees. The people in these studies report feeling so awake during the daytime, that they realise: they are experiencing true wakefulness for the first time in their lives.

sounds nice eh? Am i the only one wondering if i can please have a piece of that?

Also has anyone watched the 2009 BBC documentary "Secret Life of Your Body Clock"? It's basically more of the same in this TED talk, just way more interesting stuff in it. Highly recommended

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:34 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Sleep is so crucial to our well being, while being denigrated and ignored by modern culture. No wonder people feel lousy all the time. I wonder if this sleep cycle translates into health benefits as well.

Perediablo
Ace

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:16 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I have a unique situation when it comes to sleep. I suffer from Cluster Headache Syndrome. Sleep is a trigger for my headaches. My hypothalmus is so jacked up. the Hypo regulates sleep among many other things (body temperature, body-clock, hunger, etc). I've had this for about 9 years now. I have not had a full nights sleep in almost 3 years. That is about the time I turned from Episodic to Chronic CH.

I've tried everything the market and some other things to end the torment, but to no avail. There is no cure, nor no known cause of Cluster Headaches. Here's a link for those wanting to know more.

Cluster Headaches

wanna see a video of a cluster hit?
Clusterheadache attack

I want a complete nights rest with no pain. Just once. Please?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:57 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Perediablo, dude that's horrible.

BTW here's a streaming video of that BBC documentary "Secret Life of Your Body Clock" i was talking about, it's 49 very interesting minutes long.

http://www.56.com/u40/v_NDczNjA1NzM.html

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:59 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Perediablo wrote:
wanna see a video of a cluster hit?
Clusterheadache attack
I want a complete nights rest with no pain. Just once. Please?

wow, that's fckd up...hope you get some relief soon.
I know about chronic pain though, I was broke in half (pelvis and coccyx) about 10 years ago during a motorcycle accident.

If you're gonna bluff, be prepared to strike..fast, hard and often..leaving nothing undone.

RIP Dad Ben Thompson Jan.6,1941-May5,2009
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:08 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Perediablo wrote:
I suffer from Cluster Headache Syndrome.

Wow, nasty. Sorry to hear that Sad

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:22 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

My dad and my sister have had a couple isolated cluster headaches, I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

(19:11) [D3k]Gooberman: pffft, I didnt get owned baal, you just got 60 lucky fusion shots
Perediablo
Ace

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:37 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Krom wrote:
My dad and my sister have had a couple isolated cluster headaches, I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

I wish mine were isolated. I've been chronic for the last 3 years. That means at least 1 a day, and sometimes 8 or more with no break more than a week in a years time. I've been on calcium channel blockers for 5 years now to help keep them in check. It is not working very well any more.

There are some not so legal treatments that I am considering. Pain sucks

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:51 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Western society probably hasn't had a good nights sleep since the invention of the lamp, and then later on, the lightbulb. Light pollution is something that really ought to be addressed, since all of it fools your brain into thinking its not night time.
willkill
Ace

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:10 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Perediablo wrote:

There are some not so legal treatments that I am considering. Pain sucks

Agreed...
Don't suffer if you don't have to man...just be real careful if it's all you can do.

I wish you the best treatment for this Pere'...good luck.

If you're gonna bluff, be prepared to strike..fast, hard and often..leaving nothing undone.

RIP Dad Ben Thompson Jan.6,1941-May5,2009
View previous topic :: View next topic