Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Descent Multiplayer > New level: Laer W.I.P Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Behemoth
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:20 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Sorry for the long wait guys, last chance i was working on it i had to remove the HDD that had it on there.. Aside from that i've been dealing with alot of work on top of family drama, i'll try to get on it as soon as i can.
btw, it's not meant to be the prettiest level in the world, but trust me, the gameplay will be more than you expect.
Pandora
Hotshot

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:58 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Behe, can you say a few things about the philosophy that guided you in designing it? What factors are responsible for the great gameplay? I am planning on doing a level myself, so I'd like a bit of input what you - and others - consider important.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:23 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Factor the weapons into the design, If you plan on including matter weapons include enough space, If you include MD, having walls to use are helpful in making fights more interesting and not just a 3 hit point click kill.

Super lasers & Plasma are extremely dangerous in small-medium rooms and Fusion is fun (for me) in any type of room, but especially in darkly lit, small cramped rooms.

Don't forget about missiles either, The more splashy missiles you include the more room you need unless you want people to hate you, (a good example is nirv's vamped for D3, not the big Hostile redo but the smaller one, you can toss a frag or mortar practically anywhere and make a kill)
so if it includes frags or mortars make sure to have enough linear space.

I myself don't like frags or mortars in my levels, i prefer to try to make it like a d1 weapon level, concs, homers, smarts..

If you need or want any help message me.
d3jake
Ace

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:52 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

It looks like most, if not all, of the hallways are wide as to prevent tri-fus being lobbed down them and racking up kills. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out when we pile people into the level.

Instead if putting thought into a level, you could just make a box and a ring of tunnels around it like I did Razz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:38 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Behemoth wrote:
Factor the weapons into the design, If you plan on including matter weapons include enough space, If you include MD, having walls to use are helpful in making fights more interesting and not just a 3 hit point click kill.

Super lasers & Plasma are extremely dangerous in small-medium rooms and Fusion is fun (for me) in any type of room, but especially in darkly lit, small cramped rooms.

Don't forget about missiles either, The more splashy missiles you include the more room you need unless you want people to hate you, (a good example is nirv's vamped for D3, not the big Hostile redo but the smaller one, you can toss a frag or mortar practically anywhere and make a kill)
so if it includes frags or mortars make sure to have enough linear space.

I myself don't like frags or mortars in my levels, i prefer to try to make it like a d1 weapon level, concs, homers, smarts..

If you need or want any help message me.

interesting, thanks a lot Behe! I'll let you know when I am a bit advanced with my desing.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:54 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

d3jake wrote:
It looks like most, if not all, of the hallways are wide as to prevent tri-fus being lobbed down them and racking up kills.

It's not a "lob" when you use "the force" Wink

If you're gonna bluff, be prepared to strike..fast, hard and often..leaving nothing undone.

RIP Dad Ben Thompson Jan.6,1941-May5,2009
Neo
[deleted]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:17 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

BUBBALOU wrote:
Behemoth wrote:
....i want this level to challenge players, not cater to narrow skill sets =)
With that logic then obviously you are compelled to remove the energy center....

You need to think more about what you are saying. Part of the problem with many of the bad levels out there is that there is limited energy center placement. Abend and Subway Dancer both have limited energy center placement, which caters more to missile boating and matter weapon wh0ring.
willkill
Ace

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:59 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

very astute observation.

If you're gonna bluff, be prepared to strike..fast, hard and often..leaving nothing undone.

jesusfr3ak4evr
Ace

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:26 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

willkill wrote:
very astute observation.
The difference is some skills have a significantly greater depth than other 'skills' like secondary whoring.
Behemoth
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:12 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Gah i wish i had the time to release this guys, If anyone would like, you can PM me your addy and i'll send the WIP version but i still have several things i'd love to add before releasing the final version, the WIP is very much so playable as me and several top notch players have had a couple really enjoyable matches in it...
Anyways, just let me know if you want to try out the WIP, I'm open to any level designers (Hunter, Dwnunder, etc.) to help if they are willing.
LvlSevenBoss
Hotshot

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:47 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I can put it up for play-testing if you like. I just got a request for it.
willkill
Ace

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:15 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

sweet!

Behemoth
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:38 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Ryujin wrote:
I can put it up for play-testing if you like. I just got a request for it.

Sure, there's no autodownload link yet so if anyone wants to join they'll have to get it via email
LvlSevenBoss
Hotshot

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:01 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

No worries. Set the auto-download to http://www.descentvalhalla.com/files/d3/missions/<yourfile.zip> and e-mail it to me.
willkill
Ace

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:24 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

file hosted here...
http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/6/22/1970835/LAERWIP.zip

willkill
Ace

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:40 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

:cough:cough:

Behemoth
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:58 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

make it so, number two
lol Very Happy
Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic