Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > The DBB Gallery > Models for My Mod: June 14th Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dakatsu
Hotshot

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:54 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Aki
This thread will be a general depository for my models and other art I am designing for my mod, called Aki. I will update the initial post with my latest work, and everyone is free to comment (as is the planned goal).

June 14th, 2009
Various attachments for the Scorcher Rifle: flashlight, silencer, marksman scope, optical scope. Also a side-by-side comparison of the carbine to the rifle.

April 5th, 2009
A WIP Model of the Dueler Pistol, produced by the Casjaure Republic, also featuring a silencer and flashlight. This model lacks detail on the upper part of the gun.

March 31st, 2009
The Lithium Frag Grenade, produced by the Nekoketsukei Nation, and fielded by the Nekoketsukei National Army (as well as militia supporters and opponents).

Also, the previous Scorcher Assault Carbine, produced by the Casjaure Republic and fielded primarily by the Casjaure Nova Corps, also featuring a bipod and drum magazine.

Dakatsu
Hotshot

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:31 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I updated the original post, and I'd like feedback on my WIP Pistol (and my nade as well). Please note that the upper part was quickly patched up for presentation - it lacks the Casjaure Republic logo as well as the minor details I plan to add. Smile
Thorne
Ace

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:19 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I think it lacks minor details. Wink kidding

Pay a visit to a gun-shop, if you can, with your Dad or someone (and a little experience firing a few guns would probably do wonders, if that's possible). I can appreciate it if you're looking to make the gun unique, and that's cool, but, for instance, the rear site looks useless and the front site may be a little tall. From the design, how the gun is supposed to function appears to be a mystery (particularly the case ejection), and I think that shows a lack of more major than minor detail.

Ace

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:27 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I'm not saying you couldn't make a pretty good model without visiting a gun shop (and hopefully handling a few pistols), the reason I recommend it is that in my experience the real thing in your hand looks different than it does on-screen.

It's my opinion that even a simplified model benefits from a knowledge of how the real thing functions (or would function, realistically, if it's your own design).

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:03 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

There's no front grip on that gun, which implies that it's meant to be fired with one hand, in which case the retractable stock and bipod wouldn't be necessary. I also agree with Thorne. The sights are not believable.
Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:29 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

The front grip has already been discussed, in the previous thread. (Below this one) Close observation would suggest that the bolt also functions as an ejector port given the close proximity of the magazine etc, as in a standard carbine setup.

The sights are whatever. They'd probably work but I'd want a rail to attach something more useful Smile

Dakatsu
Hotshot

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:01 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I feel like a jerk because I do write off most of the criticism... but I do take in a lot of this information.

Thorne wrote:
Pay a visit to a gun-shop, if you can, with your Dad or someone (and a little experience firing a few guns would probably do wonders, if that's possible).

I've fired one of these before:
http://forum.pafoa.org/imagehosting/245cfee921d57e.jpg
I'll see if I could get my dad to bring out our rifle collection for a little bit of reference. But I sadly know that my mom would not let me go to a gun show, she barely let me and my dad go to a shooting range Evil or Very Mad

Thorne wrote:
I can appreciate it if you're looking to make the gun unique, and that's cool, but, for instance, the rear site looks useless and the front site may be a little tall.

Actually, the sights are designed perfectly. Although not shown in the renders, the rear sight is actually a window with crosshairs, and they line up with the front sight. The front sight literally ends at Z: 0, and the rear sight's window's midpoint is exactly the same location. Here is a quick render to show what I am talking about.

The pistol uses the EXACT same sights, albeit I hate how tall the rear sight is on the pistol.

Quote:
From the design, how the gun is supposed to function appears to be a mystery (particularly the case ejection), and I think that shows a lack of more major than minor detail.

I can explain case ejection on the pistol. The blue thing on Pics 1 and 3 flips open to eject the case. The gun cocks itself if it detects that the chamber is empty, so you don't have to pull back the top part after reloading. If you don't understand something else, please let me know, I actually thought mostly about the case ejection system Razz

For the rifle, which is actually outdated from the rest of the equipment the Casjaure Republic uses; it needs to be manually cocked. The lever on the right side of the gun is where the ejection port is for that gun. The middle piece slides towards the user normally, but the other two parts actually slide up or down. Besides that irregularity, it works exactly like a normal firearm (albeit the internals are updated and improved to work for 25th century combat).

Thorne wrote:
It's my opinion that even a simplified model benefits from a knowledge of how the real thing functions (or would function, realistically, if it's your own design).

I do agree, and I actually study some weapons while crafting these, I even watched a few videos on reloading to get a few details right. I do take leeway for the fact that in the year 2487, firearms will be vastly improved, and therefore certain things do not need a fully detailed explanation (such as these guns working on the surface of Callisto or Venus, which I excuse on a new system of firing).

Pun wrote:
There's no front grip on that gun, which implies that it's meant to be fired with one hand, in which case the retractable stock and bipod wouldn't be necessary.

It's supposed to be gripped on the coned part right before the barrel, but with so many comments, I think that I will put some form of way to ease holding it, such as a bevel on that area.

Bunyip wrote:
The sights are whatever. They'd probably work but I'd want a rail to attach something more useful Smile

I assume you mean the carbine? Very Happy If you see the hexagon-shaped holes on either side, that is where the scope mount is placed. I quickly rendered this from the current model, with the old scope mount and marksman scope.

Of course I will redo all of that, but the general concept remains the same. That mount, as I have planned, will house a dot sight or a marksman scope.

...sadly, I accidentally deleted the bipod and drum magazine, so I will have to remake them. I checked the autobacks, but they weren't there Crying or Very sad I think the concept will remain very similar, although I might angle the magazine this time, like the RPK
Thorne
Ace

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:09 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Dakatsu wrote:
But I sadly know that my mom would not let me go to a gun show, she barely let me and my dad go to a shooting range Evil or Very Mad

Mom's always worry (too much), but that's why we have dads. Wink Actually I would recommend a good gun shop over a show. Some of the people at shows seem kinda crazy, at least around here.

Well that's good that you've had a little experience with guns, at least.

I stand corrected on the sight, that's cool!

DBB Staff

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:42 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Heh. If I had kids, their mom would insist on taking them to the range as early as it was allowed...

Yeah, my GF is kind of a gun nut Smile She was on the rifle team in HS.

Dakatsu
Hotshot

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:43 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Thanks for the input, I hopefully can get access to our rifle collection (we have about seven), and get more inspiration - it will be wonderful for the Piercer Rifle, the main sniper weapon for the Casjaure Republic (yes, all Casjaure weapons have the x-er naming scheme).

I'm gonna try to compact the Carbine, move the place your left hand goes closer to the pistol grip. I don't think I could do much, but a little bit would help Smile
Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:50 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

For the record, I don't think you should compact it. Just put in a grip where the cone is and have the cone further along the barrel or something.

Dakatsu
Hotshot

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:36 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Bunyip wrote:
For the record, I don't think you should compact it. Just put in a grip where the cone is and have the cone further along the barrel or something.

I'm just going to get rid of the gap between the magazine slot and the curved guard. It will make the weapon a tad bit shorter, which I think is needed.
Dakatsu
Hotshot

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:09 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

This has been updated, and this post is simply to direct this thread to the top of the forum Razz

Please comment on my new models/additions, I haven't been able to do a whole lot but production has kicked back up again.

The barrel for the Scorcher has been changed, and the gap between the mag and the guard has been eliminated.