Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Hobby Lobby > SideWinder 3D Pro Borgified Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:20 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I got a Logitech G13 in the hope the "analog stick" on it would be exactly that, an analog joystick. Unfortunately it's not, it's treated as a dpad that you can assign 4 keys to. So much about my idea to check out how well analog sliding works in D3. Haven't done that since D1, played it w/ two regular sticks. Of course that was before fancy mullti-axis joysticks became available Smile Anyway, I remembered SuperSheep's Logitech 2.4 pwnage so I started looking into what it would take to replace the hat switches of a 3D Pro w/ an analog stick.

What you need:

1x Microsoft SideWinder 3D Pro
1x rev 1 3DP-Vert
1x mini joystick
Some misc. small parts
Some electronic tools

First, the 3DP-Vert needs some modifications to activate two analog-to-digital converter that aren't normally used. Cut a trace, bridge the cut w/ a 10uH choke, add two 100nF caps and add three wires:

The 3D Pro needs to come apart to get rid of the hat switches (replace the trigger switch too while you're at it):

I stuck a cut up 18mm silicon bumper under the mini-stick, it's a very snug & secure fit:

The 3D Pro needs to come apart almost completely to thread the 4 additional wires needed to connect the mini-stick:

Putting things back together:

Some internal rewiring is needed:

Some external rewiring as well:

Looking good:

After that everything is in the 3DP-Vert software. In addition to reading the regular 3D Pro values it also reads the position of the mini-stick and assembles the numbers into a USB HID joystick w/ 6 axis:

I played a little bit earlier, interesting. I will definately try this more -- after I replaced that hideous little stick cap I scavenged from my CH Throttle. Way to big & not very ergonomic..
SuperSheep
Hotshot

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:43 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Kick ass! About time you joined the Analog Hat Elite!!! Smile
Pun
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:36 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Sweet! Can it be done to a Precision Pro 2?
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:09 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

The mini-stick would probably fit into any joystick that has a POV hat based on 4 vertical mounted omron switches. Do you mean the Precision Pro or the Precision 2 ? Smile The 3DP-Vert can be upgraded to work w/ the Precision Pro and thus the mod would be possible. The Precision 2 is an USB stick, a 3DP-Vert could be used to just read the mini-stick and would show up as a 2nd stick on the PC (D3 does support multiple sticks).
Pun
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:17 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I meant the precision 2, sorry.
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:48 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

BTW, Logitech promised to make the G13 stick a true joystick Smile

CharlesB wrote:
We are behind making [the G13 stick] into a fully analog input. It will probably be made into a option to select simple X/Y axis output that you can assign in game (If said game allows for X/Y analog axis input). Keeping the axis system simple improves reliability and increases support with games that allow HID input. THOUGH, it is still early in on the process, so the precise details can still change, but we have decided, with your guys input, to bring full analog input support to the device.

That being said, it will be a while. I've discussed this before on the forums that I don't give dates for release. We will get it out as soon as possible though.
MD-2389
Insane!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:18 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Heh, I may have to grab one of those when my Logitech 3d pro finally dies. (Which may be a long time since *knock on wood* mine has lasted atleast 3 and a half years w/o any problems.)
BUBBALOU
Insane!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:43 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Sinner!@#!@$!@#$!

you stole parts off your CH Pro Throttle for your project

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:48 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Yep Razz Just the stick cap tho. Put some sandpaper to it since to last pic, it works pretty well.

View previous topic :: View next topic