Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > DBB Distributed Computing > Got a series 8 or greater Nvidia card ? Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:28 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Get the 177.92 driver and the GPU folding@home client here !

FAQ

Edit: 178.24 is the latest driver.
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:54 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

480 points in about 3hrs on a 8800 GTS 640. Not too bad Smile
Foil
2*pi*r

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:18 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

If only I could get GIMPS (Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search) to run on my 8800 GTS 512. Cool

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:50 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Oh right, prime numbers. Very important for your health.. Razz
MD-2389
Insane!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:31 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Heh, I'll have to see how well this'll run on my new 8800GT. Smile (and yes I do have a proper cooler on the thing, not that POS stock heatsink that came with it. Zalman ftw!)
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:36 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

C'mon guys, only three people are still folding for the DBB team -- WTF ?
MD-2389
Insane!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:56 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

wtf

I just completed a unit a couple days ago...
KompresZor
Hotshot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:33 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

My son just got the GPU client for his 8800 and started folding for us again. In 48 hours he's crunched 5700 points, wow does that thing fly. On a side note our hosting company, HostGator, is going to pass us in about 2 hours...

F@H Nvidia FAQ http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-NVIDIA

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:57 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Very cool ! Thinking of replacing the 8800 in my spare w/ a GTX260, they are getting cheap Smile
Foil
2*pi*r

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:18 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I'm not doing much with my gaming box (Q6600, 8800GTS) these days, so I think I'll start it folding soon. Once I start it, do I need to do anything beyond setting it to the team #?

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:00 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

No. May want to get a passkey, but that's about it Smile
Foil
2*pi*r

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:00 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Meh, not worried about a passkey.

I'm now running on both cores of my work machine. I'll get everything running on my home rig sometime later this week.

Unless I misunderstand, I could have up to five F@H processes running on my gaming box (quad-core + gpu). I'm not sure I want to stress that machine that much yet... any suggestions on how many to start with?

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:07 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

IIRC the GPU is pretty much exclusive. So run either the GPU or the SMP high performance core. Don't know which is less taxing, I'd guess the SMP core (the GPU core used the CPU quite a bit as well).
Foil
2*pi*r

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:30 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Grendel wrote:
IIRC the GPU is pretty much exclusive.

Meaning I can't run the systray GPU client alongside (at the same time as) CPU console client(s)? I'm not seeing that in the FAQ...

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:47 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Sort of butchered in here:

Quote:
Can I use my CPU to do calculations too?

For now, the GPU2 core uses the CPU a bit in addition to heavy use of the GPU. However, we hope to off load the calculation completely to the GPU in the future.

You could try to install the SMP core set to 3 CPUs along w/ the GPU client.
Foil
2*pi*r

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:12 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

That's what I was thinking, thank you Grendel.

2*pi*r

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:04 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

GPU client (alone, no other at the moment) now running on my gaming box. I'll keep my eye on temps for a while.

FYI, with the v175.19 NVidia drivers, I kept getting "UNSTABLE_MACHINE" errors every time it would start calculations. I had to update to the 177.92 (Beta) drivers to get it to work.

Insane!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:31 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Grendel wrote:
Get the 177.83 driver

Wink

I'm gonna wait for the official drivers before I start running this puppy.
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:33 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Fixed. The 177.92 driver is the latest official driver Razz The WHQL stamp doesn't mean squad.
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:15 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Wow, you guys rock ! Smile I'm going to swap in a GTX260 later today, curious how that puppy will perform.
Foil
2*pi*r

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:28 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Grendel wrote:
Wow, you guys rock ! Smile

Yeah, it's amazing what newer hardware can crank out.

Back in the day, I had earned about 10K F@H points over a period of a couple of months, but I'm getting that much in just a few days now.

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:12 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

MD-2389 wrote:

There you go. 178.13 WHQL is out.
MD-2389
Insane!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:13 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Grendel wrote:
MD-2389 wrote:

There you go. 178.13 WHQL is out.

Holy fuckballs! Its nearly 87MB for a damn driver! WTF?! Is nvidia trying to take the crown away from Logitech for filesize?
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:32 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

About 50MB of that is the PhysX driver. If you don't want that, kill the PhysX setup file just before the real setup starts (after the files got extracted).
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:29 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Holy cow Foil, your're racing the list ! Smile Is that GPU + SMP client on one comp ?
Foil
2*pi*r

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:01 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Just my work machine (dual-core Xeon 5160 @3GHz) + GPU at home (8800 GTS 512 @ stock speed).

Glad I can help. Smile

(I'm also no longer running the GIMPS Prime search... the $100,000 award for the first 10-million-digit prime has already been claimed. Razz )

2*pi*r

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:49 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

... Ugh, had to take the services off my work machine, they were slowing down the build times on the app I'm working on (not sure why - I had them on the lowest priority setting).

Still running on my GPU, though.