Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Descent Old School > Old Skoolers can help? Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WarDoG
Hotshot

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:49 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Ok people a friend sent me a copy of Descent2 and I want to play it online. I've installed it fine using win 95 compatibilty mode. Runs fine under XP so far so good, the joystick is a little sloggish though.

I've download D2X-XL haven't tried it yet. Any guiding spirits around to help me or point me in the right direction?
WarDoG
Hotshot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:20 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

NM I got D2X-XL working just fine on my own. Laughing
Matrix
Hotshot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:57 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

You are now old school =)
kurupt
Hotshot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:38 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

please, until one of you guys can tell me you played a 28.8 modem to 28.8 modem game, because that was the best technology available at the time, you are all newbs.

Razz
Matrix
Hotshot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:45 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

kurupt wrote:
please, until one of you guys can tell me you played a 28.8 modem to 28.8 modem game, because that was the best technology available at the time, you are all newbs.

Razz

I used to play D1 on 14.4 with my brother in law.
++fyrephlie++
DBB PostBot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:39 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Matrix wrote:
kurupt wrote:

Razz

I used to play D1 on 14.4 with my brother in law.

X2 - Brother-in-Law + Friend living down the street

(19:45:53) JBOMBnsht : go brokebackmountain on that ass and fuck a dude...change it up..ya never know
KieferSkunk
Trainee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:34 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

14.4 modem, laggy connection, playing 8-player D2 on Kali.

Those were the good old days...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:07 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

wow ... dorsola the dolphin

(19:45:53) JBOMBnsht : go brokebackmountain on that ass and fuck a dude...change it up..ya never know
MD-2389
Insane!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:21 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I used to play on a 14.4 back when I first started on Kahn. I think I did that for all of 2 days before I bought a 33.6. Razz

Btw, if you really want the old-school feeling back, then give DXX Rebirth a try. Zico just recently fixed the joystick code, so all is good. Smile (Just be aware that the INI file for DXX is slightly different so save the one for d2x-xl if you still want to use it later.)
KieferSkunk
Trainee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:31 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Yes, and the D2_3DFX FAQ is still alive and well on my site: http://www.kieferskunk.net/d2_3dfx.htm . Smile (Though I imagine it's obsolete now.)

Someone on LiveJournal mentioned playing D3 recently, and I was all "Wow, people are still playing that?" So I bought a new copy on eBay and just installed it again. Smile

How is everyone?

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:49 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

i should get d2 3d fx, and a voodoo card. that stuff looked really good with the filtering. shame that no one uses direct 3d, but it costs money to do that dont it? i have a direct 3d card and it can render even some of the newest games despite its age (call of duty ALRIGHT!!!) but it sux with ogl filtering on any resolution higher than 160x100. thats not good.

so i want to get the 3d fx patch and a voodoo. there are a few computer stores here, but the only card i found so far was too new for my system;
wal mart has more video cards than that store. shame. Crying or Very sad

as for playing online, i have an illegal version (yah, i dl'd it from rul, now im gonna buy it with all this other stuff) and use a 56k modem on AOL! Twisted Evil

alot of people on kali hate me cuz of my lag:

Jugger wrote:
<Nuggertauj> I dont hate you enzo
<Nuggertauj> well, yeah i do
<Nuggertauj> But only cause you lag my games to death

last weekend ive been playing a lot more cuz stealth has been hanging around kali more. we played an earthshaker game that night.

real old schoolers buy an older pc and play the original d2, like i have, but they also usually have skill. back when descent was new, i was still playing "Robo" and "epic pinball" on an old computer with not even 1 mb ram.

btw:20 minutes left till the descent definitive collection on ebay from canada is mine!

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 8:24 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

i just got my descent definitive collection on friday.

d1: this is the same as the one i have. oh well.

d1 levels of the world: so awesome. im gonna copy all the levels to disk so i can play them all whenever, and faster too.
i just wonder how "catacombs" won the contest...

d2: finally, i got what i wanted: a legit copy of d2 with redbook soundtrack and hi-res movies.
also came with it was d2win95. unfortunately, i cannot play it on kali, but dos works fine.
i also learned one little thing: do not move the pig files from their directories; it screws them up.

edit:
dmb2: i have this already. mines the updated version, but there are some things (it seems) that may be better with the older one; for i can make invulnerable robots for... i dunno. its in the manual. the newer version does not allow invulnerable bots.

edit (again):
d2vertigo: at last, i have the vertigo mission.
sorta disappointed that max is so small. also disappointed that you cannot mix the vertigo robots with polytron cuz they used the same polymodel maker for them as the regular d2 bots. Mad
but all in all, its good.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:15 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

kurupt wrote:

Razz

I played 14.4 to 14.4 with Daz that count ?
Hemp
Descent3 God

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:54 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

GO INTO ANSWER MODE!!!!!!!

Hotshot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:04 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Screw all that, we used to play null-modem games serial port to serial port. :D

[13:32] <+[HK]_Neo> Real pilots would have said "I have to go to work now. When can we do this?"
[13:33] <+[HK]_Neo> or " can you play at such and such a time?"
[13:33] <NeoTheSubwayKing> real pilots fly planes, not internet spaceships
Rook
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:54 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

losers! we used to play with a string tied between our machines.
Pun
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:33 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Rook's modem only worked when you fed the hamster.
INTERNETRACECAR
Hotshot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:03 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

No sense reposting the whole thing:

http://descentbb.com/viewtopic.php?p=25097#25097

Get in, suckas.

[13:32] <+[HK]_Neo> Real pilots would have said "I have to go to work now. When can we do this?"
[13:33] <+[HK]_Neo> or " can you play at such and such a time?"
[13:33] <NeoTheSubwayKing> real pilots fly planes, not internet spaceships
willkill
Ace

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:04 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

kurupt wrote:
please, until one of you guys can tell me you played a 28.8 modem to 28.8 modem game, because that was the best technology available at the time, you are all newbs Razz

I was playing a space game called "Silent Death" on that very type of connection back in..oh..'94 I do believe.

If you're gonna bluff, be prepared to strike..fast, hard and often..leaving nothing undone.

RIP Dad Ben Thompson Jan.6,1941-May5,2009
puffer1
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:49 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I started playing d1 on a 14.4 when it was kali dos
MD-1118
Trainee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:32 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Never played multiplayer (sob), mostly because no one I knew had any Descent games, but I do remember playing D1 on an IBM-C 386 with Windows 3.1 and (gasp!) 33 MHz on turbo. The only thing I enjoyed more than that was getting on the ol' C64/128 for some text-based RPGs. Man, I feel old.
Ferno
BDSM Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:20 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

wow. I started readin this thread thinkin that it was recent and it was good seeing the old faces.. then i looked at the date.

Holy necro batman! Very Happy

Even that Md-1118 guy seems familiar..
MD-1118
Trainee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:17 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Ferno wrote:
Even that Md-1118 guy seems familiar..

Well, I don't know how long you've been here, but I was a member here years ago and I forgot my username, plus I don't have the same email I used to have (don't even remember it, to be honest) so maybe you remember me from back then. I hate reviving old threads, but I couldn't resist on this one.

EDIT: I just realised that it is quite possible that I was a member over at .net after all. It's been a long time, and it doesn't help that my internal clock is permanently out of whack.
Xfing
Trainee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:13 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I disdainfully use d2x-xl. I just plain don't like it. All the time it takes just to customize it back to the point, where everything is "vanilla" can be quite a pain.

BTW, which setting represents the vanilla Fusion Cannon power (like 200% or what?)