Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Descent Old School > Some Newb Questions Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xfing
Trainee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:57 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Hey there, everybody. I'm new here but I hope to stay Smile I like Descent 1 best, because it's been with me for years, and I discovered Descent 2 relatively late. I also played and finished D3, but i prefer the old school ones.

I have a few questions regarding D1 and D2 technical problems.

#1: Is it possible to make the Descent 1 addon videos (extra1-5h.mvl) work under DosBox, or are they d2x-xl exclusive?

#2: Are unanimated cutscenes and Descent 1-like level exiting sequences totally absent in Descent 2 (unlike the Interactive Demo)?

#3: Does Descent 2 without a CD feature only 4 music tracks?

That would be it for now. Thanks in advance for your help to this newb ^__^
TigerRaptorFX
Ace

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:41 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Those cut scenes were exclusively to the Playstaion Descent 1. I don't think even the Mac version has it ether. And no the Dosbox will not play movies for Descent 1. Since the PC version doesn't have that option. If you want them use D2X-XL then.

As for your second question. Does it really matter. Wink

Third question if you played through the whole game. Then yes, it should be very obvious there are only 4 midi tracks.
Pun
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:36 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Welcome to the bb, Xfing.
BUBBALOU
Insane!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:28 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

no need to run dos box

if your rip your cd tracks to mp3/oog you can drop them into D2x/D1X-rebirth music folder and they will play

using certain names for the mp3/oog will play during certain screens
descent.mp3/oog (main screen)
briefing.mp3/oog (um briefing)
credits.mp3/oog (yep credits)

the rest i just use 01-xx to keep em in some sort of order

Descent2 requires your cd to be in the drive by default to play the redbook audio through a CDROM audio cable (which nobody installs anymore except for those that understand what purpose it is used for)

want to know what i mean - pop that cd in you car or home stereo

Using mp3 options makes it so much easier. No more MIDI for D1 if you liked D1PSX or Descent Maximum PSX

Exit Movies technically are all from D2, and were dropped into D1PSX/MAC when Descent2 was made. The content was copied from the original D1 text briefings

want to use the ripped PSX movies for D1 - that is D2X-XL only

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:11 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

BUBBALOU wrote:
using certain names for the mp3/oog will play during certain screens
descent.mp3/oog (main screen)
briefing.mp3/oog (um briefing)
credits.mp3/oog (yep credits)

I think he means MP3\OGG for those files, I'm not aware of any OOG format related to audio....

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:20 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Well thank you guys, I really appreciate your stuff Smile

I'm more of a Descent purist and conservativist, though, and I prefer my Descent under Dosbox (DX-Rebirth is the most I can go for), that's why I asked that question. I was also wondering if does Descent 2 contain integrated briefings (like the ones in Descent 1), and yes, it does matter to me. Try to understand Razz

If it does, then how to activate them?