Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Descent Support > Sound setup? Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Counciler
Trainee

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 11:15 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I have a Sound Blaster Audigy SE. is there some way I can set up Descent to work on my system with sound? The game runs fine, but since I cant find the right sound setup options its silent.
Rook
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 12:16 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Mine looks like this, hit the button highlighted below to re-detect your device.

ps. MAD paint SKILLZZ, no?
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 1:12 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Descent, Descent ][ or Descent 3 ? Smile

Trainee

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:46 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Apologies. Descent 1. Though I will be buying Descent 3 soon, so thanks for that help as well. Very Happy
Rook
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 2:03 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I keep forgetting there is more than one type of Descent. Razz
MD-2389
Insane!

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 2:27 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

http://www.dxx-rebirth.de/

Download and extract the contents to your D1 folder. Setup d1x.ini to your liking (you can enable options by removing the semi-colon) and then just run the rebirth exe. You don't have to setup your sound with it since it detects your windows settings accordingly.
Counciler
Trainee

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:57 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Well I did all that, and the "d1x-rebirth-gl" program doesnt work. It opens and quickly closes.
Counciler
Trainee

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:20 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I did the patch with -ignoremissing command line FROM the command prompt, and the game still wont run.
MD-2389
Insane!

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 8:36 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Did you extract all of the files to the root descent directory, or did it dump them into their own folder IN the descent dir? If its the latter, thats why you're having problems. Just copy the contents to your root descent directory (usually c:\games\descent) and you're golden. Smile

Thats what your root descent directory should approximately look like.
Counciler
Trainee

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 11:31 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Well it looks like that, except for something I noticed. my Rebirth program says "dx1_rebirth_gl" yours doesn't have the GL in it.
zico
Trainee

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 3:16 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Hmm
D1X-rebirth.gl.EXE looks right. If the program just does not launch, it should at least generate a file called stdout.txt.
Look at this file - there should be an error listed or somewhat.
Counciler
Trainee

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:06 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Here they are:

Error: Not enough strings in text file - expecting 621, found 514

Error: Not enough strings in text file - expecting 621, found 514
zico
Trainee

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:59 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Yes that means, that the patch to 1.4a was not successful.

I guess it'll be better if you run the patch from within a normal Descent (DOS) installation and then copy the files (HOG/PIG) to D1x-rebirth directory.

Best way is also to run it from CMD to make sure it was really successful.
Counciler
Trainee

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 9:57 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Didn't work.

It wants 4 supposedly missing files. "Old file not found" is what it says about them:

DESCENTR.EXE
SETUP.EXE
DESCENT.HOG
DESCENT.PIG

The only one that is actually missing is DESCENTR.EXE
Counciler
Trainee

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 4:48 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Any ideas?
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:37 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Moved to Descent Support. Maybe Suncho can help here. Cool

Trainee

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:28 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Something went wrong with patching those files...

Just sent PM Rolling Eyes
[NuB-T]Enzo03
Ace

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:50 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

have you already tried reinstalling descent???

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:48 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Yes, I've reinstalled several times already, but DESCENTR.EXE never seems to show up in the file list. I thought it might have been set as a hidden file so I set to view all hidden files too, but it's still AWOL.

I'm at a loss of what to do. I lost the original Floppy Disks a long time ago and I'm installing off a CD-R copy of those disks. DESCENTR.exe is not on the copied CD though... maybe it didn't carry over when I burnt the backup?
MD-2389
Insane!

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:52 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Descentr.exe is a necessary file to patch. Smile
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:18 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

The original Descent should have 23 files.

Ace

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 7:25 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

hmm that is a problem. maybe you can buy it from ebay for a dollar or so, or you can pirate it from someone Razz.

i got the definitive collection (descent 1, descent 2, descent 2:vertigo, descent Levels of the World, Descent mission builder2 v2.6) for a few dollars and im very glad to have it. Smile

whichever whay you want to go, you wont be able to play unless you have (pretty much) all of the files, especially descentr.exe, the main executable that runs the game.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:29 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Well I got it to work. A friend of mine looked at the problem (In real life) and managed to get the patcher to patch the .PIG and .HOG files. I still don't have DESCENTR.EXE, but it works now at least. I personally think he hacked the program or something, lol...

Anyways, its working now.
MD-2389
Insane!

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 12:34 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Got kali ?
View previous topic :: View next topic