Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > D3 Servers and Server OPs > Overplaying Levels is a Crime Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are Server Operators Contributing to the Degredation of The Game?
I Agree that they are.
35%
 35%  [ 5 ]
I Disagree. I get a strange thrill from being wrong.
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
You're Crazy!
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
You're Crazy! But I Agree.
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
No, they're not.
35%
 35%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 14

Thorne
Ace

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:19 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

A crime that could not be commited without the aid of the Server Operators. Even the best level, if overplayed, can afterwards be repulsive for months, even years. There are people with dulled taste who will still play the level, but only because they don't know any better (I guarantee they're not having as good of a time as they used to). Take Veins for example: I don't know about the rest of you, but I really wouldn't care for a game of Veins anytime soon. And I used to be a huge Veins fan! Veins is one of many great levels, but too much of anything leads to disgust.

Overplayed levels (call me on it if I've left anything out; I'm not really going for exhaustive):
Skybox
Abend2
(can rot as far as I'm concerned anyway, but for those of you who like it)
Subway Dancer (good riddance, keep hosting this one)
Burning Indika 3
Varicose Veins
Halcyon
Ascent
Stadium
Kataclysmica (1on1)

Come on, Server Ops, you can't just keep hosting the same old thing week after week allowing it to be overplayed. You're reducing the value of some good levels. And for what? So you can feel that your server investment is not wasted? You ought to guard against that without damaging the game.

Tell my why I'm wrong...

Ace

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:59 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I can agree that the level selection is getting a bit stale... That's why if I want to play something that isn't on of those levels I ask others in IRC what they wree playing 3-4 years ago in an attempt to get something new...

If you can bring back and host some of the levels that were well played once but arent any longer I'll join it Cool

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:10 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

The level selection was "stale" 2 years ago.

I think you missed the main thrust of the topic. This isn't about my server.

Hotshot

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:26 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Do_Checkor
Hotshot

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:27 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Hey Thorne!

Host some "crap" you want and I tell you what happens:

It won't be played except you step your own butt in there Smile

Players chose what they wanna play - not serverops.

Plus everyone knows if they wanna play some different stuff: Post it on one of the serverops forums and soon it will run...

OK - My 5 cents - and Merry Xmas friends!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:23 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

My two cents as a ServerOp: as my "Message of the Day" always reads, "Contact Foil on the forums with any level requests."

If you don't like what I'm hosting, PM me a request! I'm still fairly new to the multiplayer scene, so I'm always up for playing something different, new, or new to me! I honor every request that comes my way, and if it gets played often enough, I'll leave it up.

Hotshot

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:00 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

People just love playing in turds, that's all there is to it. I mean, seriously, people are still playing Minerv-ugh on Kali. However, the people who are actually worth playing against DO make an effort to play something different with very little prodding. It's unfortunate that it's such a rare event, however.

[13:32] <+[HK]_Neo> Real pilots would have said "I have to go to work now. When can we do this?"
[13:33] <+[HK]_Neo> or " can you play at such and such a time?"
[13:33] <NeoTheSubwayKing> real pilots fly planes, not internet spaceships
Behemoth
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:38 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I vote no, because the only thing that could contribute to the degredationg of the game is 1. Players leaving for lack of entertainment and 2. Serverops who ban whoever, whenever just because they can.

I would like to see more d1 levels up (5 player anarchy's with all ships)
Vamped, Athena, Nocturnal, Minerva, NYSA
Are some very good choices off the top of my head, which are NOT overdone in d3 anymore.

2cents

-B
Foil
2*pi*r

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:46 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

There's a D3 version of Nysa?! Sweet!

I'll host it up for the next few days, if I can find it.

2*pi*r

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:12 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Nysa is up, and should be for the next couple of days.

Hopefully it gets played so I can keep it online, 'cause I just flew through it, and I have to say... that is one gorgeous level! It's true to the original structure, but oh man does it look good!

DBB Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:56 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Behemoth wrote:
2. Serverops who ban whoever, whenever just because they can.

heh. Judas for example. Although I take my ban as a compliment in that case. Even on his uberconnect he can't win.

Foil
2*pi*r

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:32 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

There are still some serverops out there who will play only on their own server.

Personally, I prefer not to play on my own servers, as a few minutes at 0-ping just screws up my sense of leading shots the next time I'm on some other server.

Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:43 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

There are plenty of underplayed levels being hosted. Only problem is no one plays in them. When you sit in one by yourself, usually you just sit and sit and sit until you just get tired and join everyone else in the usual fare. I'll play in my own server when I feel like playing in one of my levels. Of course I usually just sit and sit until I leave and jump in an Abend2 server. I'm a pretty bad player so its not like I have some kind of unfair advantage or anything.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:36 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

that's what chat is for... to find games. There's plenty of people in chat who want a game but are sick of the same old levels.

How about joining chat? =)

View previous topic :: View next topic