Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Descent Old School > D2X-XL...hmm.... Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tancients
Trainee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:19 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

So, I tried to use the D2X-XL with my descent 2.

Works very well (Though sometimes it just randomly crashes?)

But, is there any way to turn off the extra options? I'm used to playing with just the keyboard (My mouse doesn't respond well and I have no joysticks right now) but it seems like the turning is changed. Theres also reverse thruster (When you go backwards) dust or clouds that I actually don't like...lol

Is there any way to turn off those things or adjust them? And anywhere I can figure out why/how its randomly crashing so I can either fix it or something?

I can always do Dos-Box...but then I can't play multiplayer with friends as easily with Descent 2...

EDIT: Umm...I think this might have been in the wrong section....
++fyrephlie++
DBB PostBot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:26 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

no big... diedel, the dude what made this has moved all his support to sourceforge via their bug tracker:

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=155890&atid=797586

but this isn't a bug thing, it's an operation thing, so check out his website www.descent2.de , though it's a pain in the ass to navigate. make sure you check that out, cause there's instruction on how to use it, and it's silly to ask questions that could be answered by a little research on your part. and could possibly allow you to avoid having to interact with deidel at all... which is a good thing. trust me.

cool?

(19:45:53) JBOMBnsht : go brokebackmountain on that ass and fuck a dude...change it up..ya never know
tancients
Trainee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:16 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Didn't see any option to change the stuff in the menus when I looked. I figured I'd download his latest version (Just in case), seemed a few files were different....

Still didn't see all the menu items he has listed on the website though (Keyboard ramping?)

But....somehow I got an old version, so now the only crashes I have are from exit level movies (noted on his site already) which is a big +.
Diedel
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:22 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Turn on expert options in the miscellaneous options menu to see all menu options. To get rid of the smoke when reversing, turn player smoke off.

If you have crashes, create a bug ticket in Sourceforge.net's D2X-XL project describing as exactly as possible what you did before the crash happened.

As I am frequently publishing updates, make sure to get the latest version of D2X-XL. Recent introduction of real time shadowing introduced a few sources for crashes which I have ironed out now.

There's also a dedicated D2X-XL area on http://www.descentbb.net (".net" - not ".com" Wink).

Simply use the side scrolling menu to navigate www.descent2.de - shouldn't be any harder than using a fixed side menu. Wink
INTERNETRACECAR
Hotshot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:36 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Or you could simply use D2X_Rebirth and play the game as it was meant to be played with no hassle whatsoever. Smile No excessive features, very stable, and much, much smoother, and entirely unhampered by laggy netcode.

http://www.dxx-rebirth.de/

[13:32] <+[HK]_Neo> Real pilots would have said "I have to go to work now. When can we do this?"
[13:33] <+[HK]_Neo> or " can you play at such and such a time?"
[13:33] <NeoTheSubwayKing> real pilots fly planes, not internet spaceships
MD-2389
Insane!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:17 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

And if you do decide to try Rebirth, I recommend you use these ini settings:

D1X.ini
DXX D1x ini options wrote:
System Options:

-fps Enable FPS indicator by default
-maxfps 60 Set maximum framerate (1-100)
;-missiondir <d> Set alternate mission dir to <d>
;-hudlog Start hudlog immediatly
;-hudlogdir <d> Log hud messages in directory <d>
;-lowmem Lowers animation detail for better performance with low memory

Controls:

;-NoJoystick Disables joystick support
;-mouselook Activate mouselook. Works in singleplayer only
;-grabmouse Keeps the mouse from wandering out of the window

Sound:

;-Volume <v> Sets sound volume to v, where v is between 0 and 100
;-NoSound Disables sound drivers
-NoMusic Disables music; sound effects remain enabled

Graphics:

;-menu<X>x<Y> Set menu-resolution to <X> by <Y> instead of game-resolution
;-aspect<Y>x<X> use specified aspect
;-cockpit <n> Set initial cockpit. 0=full 2=status bar 3=full screen
;-hud <h> Set hud mode. 0=normal 1-3=new
-hiresfont use high resolution fonts if available
;-window Run the game in a window

OpenGL:

;-gl_simple Set gl texture filters to gl_nearest for "original" look. (default)
-gl_mipmap Set gl texture filters to "standard" options for mipmapping
-gl_trilinear Set gl texture filters to trilinear mipmapping
-gl_reticle 2 Use OGL reticle 0=never 1=above 320x* 2=always
;-fixedfont Do not scale fonts to current resolution

Quickstart:

;-ini <file> Option file (alternate to command line), defaults to d1x.ini
-notitles Do not show titlescreens on startup
;-pilot <pilot> Select this pilot-file automatically
;-demo <f> Start playing demo <f>

Multiplayer:

;-mprofile <f> Use multi game profile <f>
;-startnetgame Start an IPX network game immediately
;-joinnetgame Skip to join IPX menu screen
;-nobans Don't use saved bans
;-savebans Automatically save new bans
;-pingstats Show pingstats on hud
-noredundancy Do not send messages when picking up redundant items in multiplayer
-playermessages View only messages from other players in multi
;-handicap <n> Start game with <n> shields. Must be < 100 for multi
;-hudlog_multi Start hudlog upon entering multiplayer games

D2X.ini
DXX D2X ini options wrote:
System Options:

-fps Enable FPS indicator by default
-maxfps 60 Set maximum framerate (1-100)
;-hogdir <dir> set shared data directory to <dir>
;-nohogdir don't try to use shared data directory
;-userdir <dir> set user dir to <dir> instead of $HOME/.d2x-rebirth
;-macdata Read (and, for editor, write) mac data files (swap colors)
;-lowmem Lowers animation detail for better performance with low memory

Controls:

;-NoJoystick Disables joystick support
;-mouselook Activate mouselook. Works in singleplayer only
;-grabmouse Keeps the mouse from wandering out of the window

Sound:

;-Volume <v> Sets sound volume to v, where v is between 0 and 100
;-NoSound Disables sound drivers
-NoMusic Disables music; sound effects remain enabled
;-DisableSound Completely disable sound system (also disables movies)
;-Sound11K Use 11KHz sounds
;-nomixer Don't crank music volume
;-noredbook Disable redbook audio

Graphics:

;-menu<X>x<Y> Set menu-resolution to <X> by <Y> instead of game-resolution
;-aspect<Y>x<X> use specified aspect
;-cockpit <n> Set initial cockpit. 0=full 2=status bar 3=full screen
;-hud <h> Set hud mode. 0=normal 1-3=new
;-hiresfont use high resolution fonts if available
;-window Run the game in a window
;-lowresmovies Play low resolution movies if available (for slow machines)
;-subtitles Turn on movie subtitles (English-only)
;-rearviewtime t Time holding rearview key to use toggle mode (default 0.0625 seconds)

OpenGL:

;-gl_simple Set gl texture filters to gl_nearest for "original" look. (default)
-gl_mipmap Set gl texture filters to "standard" options for mipmapping
-gl_trilinear Set gl texture filters to trilinear mipmapping
-gl_reticle 2 Use OGL reticle 0=never 1=above 320x* 2=always
;-fixedfont Do not scale fonts to current resolution
;-nomoviesmooth Do not smooth movies

Quickstart:

;-ini <file> Option file (alternate to command line), defaults to d2x.ini
-notitles Do not show titlescreens on startup
;-pilot <name> Select this pilot automatically
;-autodemo Start in demo mode

Multiplayer:

;-norankings Disable multiplayer ranking system
-noredundancy Do not send messages when picking up redundant items in multi
;-shortpackets Set shortpackets to default as on
;-packets <num> Specifies the number of packets per second

;-ipxnetwork <num> Use IPX network number <num>
-kali Use Kali for networking
;-udp Specify options for udp/ip:
; @<shift> Shift udp port base offset
; =<HOST_LIST> Broadcast both local and to HOST_LIST
; +<HOST_LIST> Broadcast only to HOST_LIST
; HOSTS can be any IP or hostname
; HOSTS can also be in the form of <address>:<shift>
; Separate multiple HOSTS with a ,

You can either open a notepad window and overwrite the originals, or edit them in notepad yourself. Just be aware that anything with a semi-colon infront of it is a feature that is commented out (ie: DISABLED).
++fyrephlie++
DBB PostBot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:32 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

now y'all are just gonna get the little guy riled up... do we really need doodles shitting all over the .com too?

(19:45:53) JBOMBnsht : go brokebackmountain on that ass and fuck a dude...change it up..ya never know
MD-2389
Insane!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:50 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

If he wants to get riled up over a constructive post, thats not my issue.
++fyrephlie++
DBB PostBot

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:40 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

man, you sound like him right now... Razz

[NuB-T]Enzo03
Ace

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:09 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

INTERNETRACECAR wrote:
Or you could simply use D2X_Rebirth and play the game as it was meant to be played with no hassle whatsoever. Smile No excessive features, very stable, and much, much smoother, and entirely unhampered by laggy netcode.

obviously, INTERNETRACECAR doesnt like d2x-xl-errrm, d2x-HAXL as he called it once on kali... (him, not me Laughing)
while i DO NOT like playing d2x-xl players on kali, im not gonna go all against it like i usually do/did. diedel put most of the network game effort into udp/ip so thats the preferred mode of play (in case you ever start playing d2 online) so for kali, use rebirth, udp/ip, use whatever you feel like Smile.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:21 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

++fyrephlie++ wrote:
man, you sound like him right now... Razz

No, if I was sounding like him, I would've called you a smacktard for no good reason. Wink

Seriously though, I wasn't out to attack him in this thread....but if he feels like having another go at me.... ninja (ok seriously, who the fuck picked this shitty ass smiley pack? Every damn one of them look like they're constipated!)
AusRED5
Hotshot

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:40 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

MD-2389 wrote:
ninja (ok seriously, who the fuck picked this shitty ass smiley pack? Every damn one of them look like they're constipated!)

Lets make our own emoticons !
++fyrephlie++
DBB PostBot

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:47 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

lol

Diedel
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:19 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

INTERNETRACECAR wrote:

Perfect choice if you want to play plain, simple, good ole legacy Descent 2.

But smoother or less laggy? No way. Razz How should it? D2X-XL has some nice improvements in the rendering code, and basically the same netcode as D2X and D2X-R, plus some additional consistency checking (strict for UDP/IP, relaxed for IPX/KALI). If you like the extra stuff, it's the way to go.

tancient,

There's some pretty biased ppl around who hardly miss an occasion to bash D2X-XL or me. The best is to try it yourself and make up your mind. Smile

As I said, if you have problems or bugs, register on Sourceforge.net and post in the D2X-XL bug and support request trackers. We will be glad to help you, and I am always open for good user suggestions.

Turning speed has been adjusted using the original D2 as measuring rod. I did a lot of tests using a stop watch. If D2X-XL should be way off I'd like to know where, and what the proper values are. You can turn off mouselook and pitch speed increase in the control configuration menus. If you use D2X-XL for online multiplayer, you can only use mouselook and increased pitch speed if the gamehost uses D2X-XL himself and allows the use of it. If the gamehost uses another D2 version, both are automatically disabled no matter what your local settings are.
INTERNETRACECAR
Hotshot

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:50 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Good, ol' fashioned legacy Descent 2 as opposed to top-heavy, unstable, ugly, poorly coded, "feature" (read:HAX)-filled, and utterly unfun Descent 2: Diedel Edition?

Simple choice, I'd say. Smile

[13:32] <+[HK]_Neo> Real pilots would have said "I have to go to work now. When can we do this?"
[13:33] <+[HK]_Neo> or " can you play at such and such a time?"
[13:33] <NeoTheSubwayKing> real pilots fly planes, not internet spaceships
Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:15 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

enough bickering bitches. Go do that on .net. Here we love each other.

Neo
[deleted]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:04 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

hiya Bunyip ^_^
MD-2389
Insane!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:39 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Bunyip wrote:

Whatever you say barney boy. Wink
Pun
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:00 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Bunyip wrote:

quoted for truth times two barbeque.
Diedel
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:19 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Inflammatory personal attack deleted by Pun
Pun
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:13 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

People should be able to express their opinions here without getting attacked personally. You are walking on thin ice, Deidel. You might get away with it on the other board, but not here.
Zanboo
Orion Wing

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:40 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

i had an inflammatory personal attack once

pun brought the preparation H! Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:21 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Pun wrote:
People should be able to express their opinions here without getting attacked personally. You are walking on thin ice, Deidel. You might get away with it on the other board, but not here.

Thanks Vince!
I've sat on my hands watching this thread and now I can relax again!

Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:00 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Pun wrote:

Apparently I am the only one here walking on thin ice, looking at what is or has been going on at other places here against me, and what you obviously chose to ignore or even approve to.

Every good effort and attempt to get a constructive dialogue seems to be wasted here, and if it comes down to D2X-XL, there's always some troll here ready to crap on it. I am not gonna make myself a target for people here whos only intention is behave low in one way or the other.

I am walking on thin ice. OMG. What a bloody hypocrisy.

If you want to ban me, why don't you just do it? You don't need a reason, do you?

You guys here aren't worth the work I have put into D2X-XL, nor a single second of my time.

Well, my mistake to make an appearance here, but one that can be easily corrected.
Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:23 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

You could leave, or you just not be a jerk and stay. Of course if one of those options is impossible, you'd have to choose the other. We will know by what you do which option is impossible, won't we?

Rook
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:35 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Diedel wrote:
Well, my mistake to make an appearance here, but one that can be easily corrected.

I'm heart broken.
MD-2389
Insane!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:48 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Zanboo wrote:
i had an inflammatory personal attack once

pun brought the preparation H! Evil or Very Mad

You know, I did warn you not to sit in that chair.... Wink

Oh btw, does a certain someone's post remind anyone here of a certain someone on PD? Vanguard anyone? Wink "I can't take it anymore, I'm going home!" "Mommy, they're making fun of me!" Blah blah blah! Seriously Diedel, if you're going to make an exit, don't go for the drama queen approach. Just quit posting. As much as I loathe you and Koolbear, did you see me pulling a stunt like that? No. I just quit posting.
Krom
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:18 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Diedel wrote:
Pun wrote:

Apparently I am the only one here walking on thin ice...

You just now figured that out? The only reason anyone in this entire community puts up with you is because you work on D2X-XL. You just don't seem to get it do you? You have been getting special treatment from day one, people have only tolerated you because of your work. If you were not working on some development project you would have been banned from dbb.net and several other forums years ago.

It must be REALLY FUCKING NICE to always be able to hide behind the "I'm working on projects to improve the community and keep the game alive." excuse so you can freely be a complete and total ASSHOLE to everyone around you.

Just take a look around you Diedel, there are dozens of people (including me) who go out of their way to ignore or avoid you as much as possible, a few suckups who like all the glitter, and a lot of people that only tolerate you because they can't do anything about it. Time and time again you cry and complain that people are stacked up against you, but you seem to miss the reason WHY they are stacked up against you. The reason everyone is against you is because you turned them against you. You are condescending, overly sensitive, judgmental, intolerant, hot tempered, short sighted and rude. It has nothing to do with your projects or their merits, people don't like YOU.

It was a major mistake on the part of others in this community to give you special leeway just because you work on D2 and I applaud Pun for putting his foot down.

(19:11) [D3k]Gooberman: pffft, I didnt get owned baal, you just got 60 lucky fusion shots
Ferno
BDSM Fanatic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:21 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Back when I first knew you, I gave you the benefit of the doubt when i learned you were working on XL. I figured it would be great for the community. I helped you out by testing, and by spreading the word about XL. I even introduced you to the CEO of a game company, figuring your talents would be recognized.

What do I get from you in return? nothing but attitude, and then you try and convince people that I'm scum.

If you were working for me, I would fire you immediately and have you blacklisted from the industry. you are anti-social, egotistical, arrogant, pretentious, and inflexible. Just because you work on a modification does not make you better than us.

Without this community, you would be NOTHING.
++fyrephlie++
DBB PostBot

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:22 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

yay!!! finally, other people are giving diddles something to think about.

of course, i think i've said it before... but oh well...

i will, of course, not post the pic again...

wait, is he going to tell us that we wouldn't say shit to his face? cause, i would gladly tell him he's an asshole to his face.

my apologies to the original poster... this thread is getting out of hand.

/offtopic with respect to the original poster...

Rook
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:32 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Thats enough.
View previous topic :: View next topic