Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Forum Support and Feedback > Spam bots and you Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KompresZor
Hotshot

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:46 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

In a effort to reduce the number of spam posts, bot & human, I think I may have found something that will help.

Artsoft has modded the files for phpbb to add KittenAuth support. aka phpBB KittenAuth 0.9.0

For a test site to see how it works go HERE and register for a new account.

You can customize the question and the pictures so we can make it hard for even a human to sign up if they don't know Descent. Like you could have pictures of all the Descent ships and ask the question, "Click all the Black Pyros"

Also you do have "email verification" turned on, yes?
I will help if you need it <3

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:34 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

There are also plenty of captcha mods that work, unlike the default one which was apparently cracked immediately upon release.

Pun
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:30 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

you can't just pop in a captcha like installing a patch. It's very complicated, especially because this board is highly modified already. the problem is, the mods sometimes walk on each other, so you have to be very careful about what code you change. It took months to get this board the way you see it now.

I'm booked until the end of January. I'll try to look into it then. Until such time as I can find a simple, compatible, viable solution, I ask all the mods on this board to please delete, not lock, bot posts.

Kompy, thanks for that. It looks promising.
KompresZor
Hotshot

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:03 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I figured the board was heavily modded, If you want, go into c-panel and do a "home directory" back up and send it to me. I'll enter the code in by hand and run it on my test server till I get it right. The server your on at mher is it php4 or 5? I'm no php expert but I can give it a try. Where's g8 when you need him Razz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:56 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Just for the record I thought fixing the captcha was simple like adding new images. Little did I know that it requires programming nsht.

Pun
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:43 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

no, it's not just changing the images.
Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:56 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

ok ok ok

please consider your balls un-busted aite?

++fyrephlie++
DBB PostBot

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:41 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

KompresZor wrote:

Code:

Warning: mysql_connect(): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (111) in /home/artsoft/data_staging/test_forum_ka/db/mysql4.php on line 48

Warning: mysql_error(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/artsoft/data_staging/test_forum_ka/db/mysql4.php on line 330

Warning: mysql_errno(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/artsoft/data_staging/test_forum_ka/db/mysql4.php on line 331
phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database

seems like bots would definitely have trouble getting past that! Razz

(19:45:53) JBOMBnsht : go brokebackmountain on that ass and fuck a dude...change it up..ya never know
Pun
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:51 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

lol. QFTx2
Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:21 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Did someone turn off admin approval? If not I wanna know who keeps approving people with names like znzkurnika. I've deleted a bunch of spam posts in the cafe lately that possibly nobody has seen?

KompresZor
Hotshot

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:31 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

++fyrephlie++ wrote:
KompresZor wrote:

Code:

Warning: mysql_connect(): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (111) in /home/artsoft/data_staging/test_forum_ka/db/mysql4.php on line 48

Warning: mysql_error(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/artsoft/data_staging/test_forum_ka/db/mysql4.php on line 330

Warning: mysql_errno(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/artsoft/data_staging/test_forum_ka/db/mysql4.php on line 331
phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database

seems like bots would definitely have trouble getting past that! Razz

See.. I told you it would keep spamers and post-bots out Razz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:48 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

can i get a rimshot with that?

(19:45:53) JBOMBnsht : go brokebackmountain on that ass and fuck a dude...change it up..ya never know
Sarge
DBB Old Duff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:13 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I think firepyle is a spambot, can we get him banned as well?

weeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!111111111!11twelve2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:23 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

<script line 722 not found>

> insert automated witty retort here <

warning: script stopped, there was an error.

//! this message means the bot has failed, kindly ignore.

GaryLifo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:49 pm Reply with quote

When was the last time you guys searched this forum for the answers?
++fyrephlie++
DBB PostBot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:19 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

GaryLifo wrote:
When was the last time you guys searched this forum for the answers?

it's 42

++fyrephlie++
DBB PostBot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:20 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

or not.

JBOMB
DBB Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:40 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

GaryLifo?

is there a bot in our bot thread?
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:45 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Hahahaha.. Very Happy

Hog Whisperer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:07 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

classic!