Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Descent Old School > D2X-XL v1.9 now with real time shadowing! Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Diedel
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:52 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

See the work log on my Descent 2 site for more info. Smile

Diedel

[NuB-T]Enzo03
Ace

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:09 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

awesome!
i really need to break into that computer store now Smile

and a little thing about the pyro "tx"...
is it a pol or did you use oof for that?

edit: never mind...

its too bad the source code for polytron is not out... serious bugs in that.
really got at me when i made this big boss robot... t3h ugliness

have you thought of shadow maps at all?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:33 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

That's slick! Can you antialias or blur the outline at all?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:53 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Testi,

I think that would probably too hard for me. I am glad I have come that far ... took me over a year (with a break). They shadows look darker on the screenies than they are though, they're actually somewhat transparent, taking a little away from the hardness.

Enzo,

that's a pretty old .pol of mine.
[NuB-T]Enzo03
Ace

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:09 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

hehe yeh i saw that...

i also saw it was made incorrectly when i put the polymodels into another hxm (must have one chunk per submodel and must be convex), but thats polytron for yeh Razz
if i get a chance, ill put up an old one of mine, also made incorrectly, but was alot of fun too...
there is also the santa model in deck the halls lol

back to topic:

so from what i read in your work log, all original descent models (probably minus the red triangle Razz) and eagle's pyro gx are buggy with this shadow rendering method (go look at his gx in modview32 and you can find many open spots in his model, including one that does not separate two submodels) and that left me to wonder: do all models made the way they are "supposed to" on polytron cast garbled shadows?
probably a test in entropy 2 or encounter at farpoint 2 would give us an answer as right now i cant get on the internet with my laptop (stupid internet connection!) and i made a new ship recently that displays (almost) perfectly in regular d2, for a secret single player project i have started and when i get it on the laptop... i want to see its shadow Razz.

edit: maybe i can help with making some polymodels

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:28 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I have rebuilt all standard bots up to and including D2 level 16 with polytron already, and they cast proper shadows. Many default models have unconnected adjacent faces, etc.

I would need help with fixing flawed skins on the fixed models. I didn't bother fixing these, just wanted to get working shadows as quickly as possible.

Chaos Death Saurer from the DBB.net will probably help with that, too.
[NuB-T]Enzo03
Ace

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:19 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Diedel wrote:
I have rebuilt all standard bots up to and including D2 level 16 with polytron already, and they cast proper shadows. Many default models have unconnected adjacent faces, etc.

I would need help with fixing flawed skins on the fixed models. I didn't bother fixing these, just wanted to get working shadows as quickly as possible.

Chaos Death Saurer from the DBB.net will probably help with that, too.

awww Sad
i worked so hard on the few i got to...
flawed skins? is that the crappy texture alignment they did on the models? i got that done with the diamond claw...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:11 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Good work diedel, Keep us posted.
MD-2389
Insane!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:36 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Diedel wrote:
They shadows look darker on the screenies than they are though, they're actually somewhat transparent, taking a little away from the hardness.

Fraps up a video and post it then. Smile
Diedel
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:09 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Enzo,

it's not the skinning, it's overlapping faces, or not quite connected faces, or open model parts (e.g. where some part is stuck on another, it isn't closed - for normal rendering that's ok, as you will never see that, but for stencil volume shadows, that doesn't work).

I or someone else will make a nice D2X-XL promo video (if we can pull it off).
View previous topic :: View next topic