Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Descent Support > horozontal bars in configuration menu Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pianofritz
Trainee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:14 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I bought Descent 3 with the Mercenary Pack through this website which directed me to Shop.com which directed me to NothingButSoftware. I'm running indows XP and the sound is not working at all. When I try to configure the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro I can't get any response out of several of the buttons. It has a USB connection which seems to work fine.

Any suggestions? (PLEASE! No RTFM!)

Thanks.

Pianofritz

Suncho
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:03 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Hmm. Sounds like a few different problems.

In the other thread, you mentioned that you have a Dell. Do you have the model number of your computer? If so, I can probably find out what graphics and sound hardware you're running.

The horizontal bars in the configuration menu are often caused by using the Direct3D rendering device with Directx 9 or higher.

As a first step, I recommend doing this:

1. From the Descent 3 Launcher (blue box with all the options) click "Setup"

2. From the "Setup" window, select the "Video" tab.

3. At the bottom of the "Video" tab, click the button that says "Redetect Available Rendering Devices"

4. In the window that pops up, check all the boxes (Direct3D, 3dfx Glide, OpenGL) and click "Scan for Selected Video Devices"

5. Once the scan is complete, you should be back at the "Video" tab. Click the down arrow at the right of the "Currently Selected Rendering Device" dropdown menu, and if OpenGL is an option, select it.

6. Try playing the game. Switching to OpenGL usually fixes the corrupt menu graphics.

Integrated graphics and sound hardware is often not kind to video games, but there's a good chance we can get this sucker working.
pianofritz
Trainee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:35 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Dear Suncho,

Here's the system info I copied:

Microsoft Windows
Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp.050622-1524 : Service Pack 2)
Copyright 1981-2001 Microsoft Corporation

On the front of the machine at the top is "Dimension 3100"

At the bottom is a sticker that says: "Intel Pentium 4 HT inside".

I'm going to try your suggestions. I'll let you know what happens.

THANKS!

pianofritz

Pun
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:25 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

off topic, but I just had to say something. Man, Fritz. I just checked out your website and saw the pics of what Katrina did to that beautiful grand piano and studio and I almost shed a tear. Unbelieveable...

Welcome to the Descent BB, Fritz!
pianofritz
Trainee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:47 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Dear PUN,

Thanks for the kind words. It really was pretty grim. Particularly when you consider that I had a heart attack just two months before the Hurricane. And my poor spouse - lost her only son the year before to cancer. But believe me, every cloud has a silver lining. We have moved to North Carolina to be close to our youngest daughter and everything has really been terrific. The outpouring of help up here has been sensational. And our youngest daughter had another baby in March and he's the "cat's meow" he is so cute. So it has not been all bad. I have to treat it as a professional musician - "That's show biz!" After all, when mother nature knocks you down, you have to pick yourself up and dust yourself off and go about your business.

On my web log, I'll be writing about our experiences with Katrina. Right now, we're being treated well by FEMA - they've paid half our rent for the last nine months. And the SBA (Small Business Administration) as part of their mission is helping us to relocate. We've signed a contract for 2.6 acres of land and a modular home and my wife is ecstatic. Haven't heard her laugh and sing this much in years. So it's not all bad. We'll get over it.

Thanks again for your empathy. We consider ourselves fortunate to have escaped ahead of the storm with our dog, two cats and a couple of days of clothes. We're survivors.

pianofritz
web log: www.pianofritz2.blogspot.com

pianofritz
Trainee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:58 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Dear Suncho,

I tried out your suggestions about GL and they really worked. When I booted up the program everything was there without the horizontal bars. There is some "shattering" as I call it of the graphics but all of the configuration menu and all other menus are now very clear. The view as you find your way to outside is magnificent. I don't believe I've ever seen graphics in a game like this.

Of course, I'm the original space freak. I had to quit telling people what I wanted to be when I was 12 (1946) 'cause I wanted to be one of the first men on the moon. People really taunted me unmercifully because it was off the wall back then. Four days after my 35th birthday the message "Houston - Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed!" was real vindication for me: everyone of those astronauts was older than me!

I've been a real video game nut for years going back to the original Asteroids from M.I.T. and Pong. Now if I can get the sound going in Descent 3 maybe I can find that damned Guide Bot! Very Happy

pianofritz

MD-2389
Insane!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:10 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Have you patched up yet? (Merc brings D3 up to 1.3, just FYI) Be sure to run the dual-jewel patch before patching to 1.4.

And for the record, this is your system. If you're curious what processor you have then run wcpuid. However, I think most of your problem lies with this:

Quote:
Integrated Intel® Extreme Graphics 2

You can find a list of drivers that dell "supports" here. If I were you, I would definitely update your drivers if they need them. If you don't know if you have a certain part or not, thats fine. We can walk you through what you do and don't have.
pianofritz
Trainee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:32 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Dear Hotshot (MD-2389),

I'm constantly amazed at the level of expertise demonstrated by the people on these forums. In my case, as I've said for years, I kin berely spel compooter! But I have something a lot of people don't have - I stick to it and do NOT give up easily. Actually, that was Edison's explanation of how he came up with so many new inventions. He just didn't give up on it easily. Imagine! Doing an experiment 5,000 times not once but TWICE. A newspaper reporter once asked him about his failure to find the electrical light bulb and mentioned his 5,000 failed experiments. Edison said "Oh, NO! Those weren't failures. I just discovered 5,000 ways that you don't make the light bulb!" What a great response!

Thanks for all of the hints. I'm going to try them (with great caution Smile ) and will let you know if I need any help.

pianofritz

Pun
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:34 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Glad to hear things are looking up for you, Fritz. Smile
MD-2389
Insane!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:47 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Hey man, we're here to help. Smile
Suncho
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:49 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Thanks for the info about your computer, pianofritz. The shattering of the graphics you're experiencing could be a result of your integrated graphics not being able to do multitexturing.

To fix it, try using the -nomultitexture command line switch. To add it, do the following:

1. From the Descent 3 launcher, click "Setup"
2. From the "Setup" window, click the "Misc." tab all the way at the right.
3. At the bottom of the misc tab, see the box you can type in called "Optional D3 Command-line Switches"
4. In the box, type "-nomultitexture". If there's stuff already in the box put a space between the "-nomultitexture" and everything else.

Hope this helps.
View previous topic :: View next topic