Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > D3 Servers and Server OPs > Southeastern server Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Behemoth
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:06 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Hi,

i would like to ask what type of computers would be most suitable for serving say, 3 maybe 4 5-8 player games of descent 3 nad how much of a connection would be required to keep a stable game going.

I hope to setup a LAN very soon, just new to this thanks for any pointers.

Beh
Testiculese
Insane!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:16 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Consider about 50k bandwidth per player. for 5-player servers. This gives room for other misc overhead.

Machine-wise, I ran servers for LANs, and it worked out that I could hold 4 1v1 games on a p3-800...so any machine ~2ghz can handle anything you throw at it. D3 is graphic intensive, but the server doesn't take all that much. You could hold 4, 4-player games with any decent machine nowadays. Make sure you have a gig of ram. D3 likes ram.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:25 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Thanks testi! i was pondering upgrading ram now i have the reason too! Wink
Also i would hope to be able to server 2 1on1 servers 1 regular descent sized anarchy (4-8 people) and maybe one large anarchy but i would love to serve on demand.

Computer specs for now

Abit Bh7 motherboard
2.4 ghz Pentium 4
512 Megs of ram
3500/512 connection
geforce 5200fx (not that it matters serverwise)

does that look decent?
jesusfr3ak4evr
Ace

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:54 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

That looks decent Behemoth, just get a gig of ram.

I'm wondering what the largest size D3 game I could serve stably is? I have a 4000/384 kbps cable connection. My computer is way too fast for D3. Razz
Testiculese
Insane!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:08 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Your upstream is your limit.

384/50

7 people. But it's cable..so more like 5 people.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:51 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

More like 64k per at 9pps -- things will go bad if you have more than 8 ppl connected concurrently w/ 512k up.
Do_Checkor
Hotshot

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:03 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Remember that it is pretty relevant to CPU-usage what MOD you play. While anarchy uses almost nothing, a bigger level with entropy will leech CPU exponential while increasing player-count...

I would support Grendel's opinion to calculate a BIT more bandwith while playing on LAN. It is a PLEASURE to play at 12pps with "sendrotvel" and "usesmoothing" turned on at a LAN. But actually "who cares of bandwith on a LAN?"

I calculate about ~64 MB of RAM for each instance of D3 plus about 256 MB for stuff like OS and Servertool. Testi's opinion that 2 GHz machine is enough to host 4 ordinary instances is perfect IMHO. But if you start a game with like ~20 players in a CTF or Entropy or such I'd better leave ONLY that ONE game running on that machine (and remember to turn of Omega and Microwave).

In October I will have my 20th (bigger) D3-LAN and so let's say I am addicted Wink. I HATE the fact that I can't afford to come over to play with you guys...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:45 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Well I have my notebook (P3 500MHz 256MB ram) running with D3 Server Tool and D3. I will test my limits soon. I doubt having a somewhat slow computer for a server will effect me since I won't be hosting any large games/levels.
View previous topic :: View next topic